Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I have a leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I have a leak :(

All I have to say is if it were a cat spraying you'd KNOW IT!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Well, I did stick a finger in the liquid, rubbed it between my fingers, and smelled it, and while I'm not intimately familiar with the smell of cat urine, I think I'd know it too

Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

pammie that was a risky move, I just know that while I was stuck with the cat box cleaning duties while my wife was pregnant with our beautiful baby girl that cat urine is unmistakable from about 2 feet away in any direction. And from my limited education when they are spraying to mark things it's even worse!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

one tiny drip is no big deal. Unless its a modern engine, its going to leak. Modern meaning after 1990 or so. Even some of those are leaking everywhere. I would be thrilled to only have one or two drops from some of my cars.. They arent as bad as an old Harley, where you just our the dripped oil back in before you start it, but it isnt like my 98 either.

The engines I build dont have leaks untill I pull the valve covers for an adjustment, and sometimes not even then. I wouldnt call a rod hanging out of the block a leak, more like a dump of oil... but I digress...

Dont worry about it, and I am just good with a rope main seal and silicone works good on some parts.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Due to the rain she's been sitting in dry dock for several days. Today when it cleared I went over to visit. No discernable leaks so I popped the hood and the washer bag was full. So full, in fact, that when I squeezed it, I got a little wet

Pulled out the metal tray and it had a single drop of oil. Checked the engine and it was dry with no drips anywhere. I took 2 photos of it and drove it for a bit today, then will check tomorrow and if there is even one drop on the seam, I'll take a pic and post it. I plan to drive it for a while tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

good luck (cue the magnum PI music)
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Anyone else read this wrong?

I love those drips that just show up and disappear from time to time. They're real hard to fix and keep away...

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

Due to the rain she's been sitting in dry dock for several days. Today when it cleared I went over to visit. No discernable leaks so I popped the hood and the washer bag was full. So full, in fact, that when I squeezed it, I got a little wet

Pulled out the metal tray and it had a single drop of oil. Checked the engine and it was dry with no drips anywhere. I took 2 photos of it and drove it for a bit today, then will check tomorrow and if there is even one drop on the seam, I'll take a pic and post it. I plan to drive it for a while tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I guess my work crossed over into my car hobby when I typed that out

Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

One splatter drop of oil overnight, that's it .. but ... there is oil leaking on the engine. It's a very small amount but in this instance, size matters -- any oil leaking to me is a bad thing (tm). Yes, I know it's very minor at this point and nothing like it was last week (not sure how long it had been leaking) but obviously I'd like to nip this in the bud before it becomes a major issue right before winter storage.

Here are a couple of images, it's not that easy to see but I tried to highlight the area with the oil. The dark spot on the right side of the engine ...

Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Yes ma'am. That there is normal weepage for a 200c.i. I6.
If you've ever had a St. Bernard, or a Mastif, you'll still have drool towls hanging around, just toss one in the trunk, and give it a wipe once in a while. If not pick up a dish towl next time you're at the grocery store. Run it through the washer and dryer on hot, then throw it in the trunk. Very absorbent that way.
BTW: any idea if they milled the head when they rebuilt the engine?
Reason I ask is that with todays thicker head gasket, you loose compression, and power. If you mill the head about 0.020 you gain back what you lost. Won't do anything for the weepage, but it will improve your 0-60 times, and your fuel mileage just a bit.
Also if they haven't you really don't want or need to run anything better than 87 Octane.

My buddy has a 1908 Harley Davidson. Totally unrestored, and brought out of the barn into his rec'-room. It still weeping oil almost 100 years later. He has an old oil company sign under it for the oil to leak on. It's the darnedest thing.

Good luck,

Scott

Quick Reply: I have a leak :(