Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra

68 fastback.

No more smog checks, ever (at least in Cali).

Looks waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler.

It retains its value much better.

I still don't get this "speed" thing, I'm a cruiser type, not a speedster.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

I saw a dark green 1967 or 68 fastback with a NATURALLY ASPIRATED big block run mid 10's at the track. It was an awesome sight.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

It would be easier for most to finance a newer cobra than to get a loan to build an old fastback, or even buy one for that matter. So even though the classic is often cheaper, it takes longer to make it fast. Most people just want something to get in and go, they dont care about building it, or even making it fast. I would go with an old car, and have a new one as a daily driver.. oh wait.. I do have that..
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

It would be easier for most to finance a newer cobra than to get a loan to build an old fastback, or even buy one for that matter. So even though the classic is often cheaper, it takes longer to make it fast. Most people just want something to get in and go, they dont care about building it, or even making it fast. I would go with an old car, and have a new one as a daily driver.. oh wait.. I do have that..
Is there an echo in here? And, to answer Atom......How do you know that a 68 will be worth more than an 03 Mach1 10 years from now? Do you have a crystal ball or something? None of us know what these cars will be worth 10 years down the road. I clearly remember that the classics were worth damn near nothing in the 70's, just as the 03 will be worth damn near nothing 6 or 7 years from now, if the sprialing depreciation trend continues, but what if there is an upsurge of young guys who want the "old" style 03 cars instead of the 2016 Mustangs? Gets you to thinking, doesn't it? Hell, the way things are going, there may not even be a Mustang in 2016.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Is there an echo in here? And, to answer Atom......How do you know that a 68 will be worth more than an 03 Mach1 10 years from now? Do you have a crystal ball or something? None of us know what these cars will be worth 10 years down the road. I clearly remember that the classics were worth damn near nothing in the 70's, just as the 03 will be worth damn near nothing 6 or 7 years from now, if the sprialing depreciation trend continues, but what if there is an upsurge of young guys who want the "old" style 03 cars instead of the 2016 Mustangs? Gets you to thinking, doesn't it? Hell, the way things are going, there may not even be a Mustang in 2016.
ok, well, classics averaging 10 years were worthless, fox bodies averaging 10 years after were worthless, i am just assuming 93-04 models will be worthless in average 10 years from the year they were made
Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yep. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to have had a crystal ball back in the sixties? How many 428 CJ's or 350-500 GT's would you have purchased at the 3-4K price tag they had back then if you knew that today they would be worth well over the 100K mark? You could have shrink wrapped those suckers, put them in a dry storage area, then unwrap them when you thought you would realize a HUGE profit. Better than a savings account or a mutual fund for sure. Unfortunately, we don't have crystal ***** that are accurate in the car business. My 03 Mach1 or my 65 may be worth next to nothing in more than 10 years. Cars are commodity items, meant to be bought and sold. Whenever they wear out they are sold or thrown away just like toasters and televisions. Fortunately, we have a few devotees who still reflect on the good old days, and spend the time and money to restore these old classis. That is why this forum exists.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yep. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to have had a crystal ball back in the sixties? How many 428 CJ's or 350-500 GT's would you have purchased at the 3-4K price tag they had back then if you knew that today they would be worth well over the 100K mark? You could have shrink wrapped those suckers, put them in a dry storage area, then unwrap them when you thought you would realize a HUGE profit.
If I had a crystal ball?

Lotto ticket, nuff said.

Realistically though, I would have bought a dozen Amazing Fantasy #15's (first ever Spider-Man comic) for 12 cents each back in the 60s, now they go for about $100,000 each in mint condition, having a dozen today would have been a over a million big ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Fantasy

Damn, where's that crystal ball?????

Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
viza
1st Gear Member

do you need to drive it to work? One thing to consider is reliability and gas mileage. An old car can be reliable but only if you clean up the ignition, electrical and fuel delivery systems in the car. That's where the money should go first New sub harnesses where you need them, new fuel pump, new ignition system, rebuild the carb.

I did this to a 63 jag mark ii (English cars are notorious for unreliable electric) and it started every time, even in the middle of February at -5 degrees. It never let me down until the brakes died because water got into the brake system and pitted the cylinders. 4 years of starting every time I pressed the button. You might want to add in a new/rebuilt set of brakes and master/slave cylinders if you need them. Check the seals... That was a scary day.

Some would argue an old car with this work done may be more reliable than a new car that might have defects. They are simpler and simpler = more reliable, provided it's done right. There's nothing more reliable than a 60's car with all the stuff done to it that needs doing, and is properly maintained. No ECM's blowing up etc. If the engine has high mileage consider getting it rebuilt so you don't burn oil or get any nasty surprises.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...

-Viza
Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

its up to you id go with the 68 i hate new cars i dont like air bags abs traction control and other things they shove in them for people that cant drive a 68 can only go up in price that cobra is slowy droping and btw that cobra wont hold no 800hp youll throw a rod
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viza

do you need to drive it to work? One thing to consider is reliability and gas mileage.
at 600hp I don't think gas mileage is going to be a consideration...old Aussie saying "I don't give a fat rat's clacker" about it.

One of my mates has a 68 Shelby 350. His solution for the power shortcomings is a new Shelby engine...427 or 428, blown, 750hp.

Personally, I'd prefer the 68. If the body and paint is done, could you add TCP steering and suspension, decent brakes and a decent engine and still have change from the Cobra??

Forget resale value. Once you start down that level of performance mod on either car, you'll never recover your money.

Quick Reply: need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra