Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ok fellow NON-speedster types...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ok fellow NON-speedster types...

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

I have one of each. A daily driver, a cruiser, a resto, a street legal drag car, a truck, a beater, and my fun car that I want because it has the most memories from when I first started driving.. I cant have one car do everything well, so I build specialized cars instead. I have the room and the skills/knowledge, so why not?

Not all of them have to be fast, but I cant stand not having enough power to pick my spot on the interstate or pass a couple trucks on a two lane. The beater is a V6 intrepid, and I loathe driving it for anything other than to get groceries. its the winter car so the GF drives it.

The Cougar will be a nice car to drive, it will have enough power but not so much its a bear to drive like my toy. But what really gets it for me is a sleeper. A car that looks stone stock, down to the airfilter and whells/tires doesnt sound mean but will put a couple bus lengths on your average LS1 or Cobra.. A 10 second daily driver with manners. its there when you want it, but it doesnt bring all the bs along with it. its in the works now..
Yeah, but the problem with a sleeper, is that you bust loose with stock tires. I noticed I was squealing with my stock tires after I took off the Mag 500's with fatter tires and Ol' Yeller is a stock 289. With only half throttle, I can lay rubber with the stock tires.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I don't drive fast.....however...there always seems to be a sh!tload of people on the road when I am that drive really slow.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I like cruising mostly. Nothing like a smooth ride through town with all the comments, etc.

However, I like to stretch her out and open things up too. Having both in one car makes it that much better

I'm not looking to set a new land speed record or rotate the earth on take off, but I like watching the RPM's climb and WOT to 100 mph.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

I don't drive fast.....however...there always seems to be a sh!tload of people on the road when I am that drive really slow.
aint that the truth not really i will only give it gas to pass or late at night when no one is on the arizona autobahn but i do have to admit i like to drive faster in my truck cause i hopped my 460 up pretty good and that thing flies but i think that my 800cfm carb is holding my back a bit on it and the funny part is that everyone thinks its a junker lol
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

I have one of each. A daily driver, a cruiser, a resto, a street legal drag car, a truck, a beater, and my fun car that I want because it has the most memories from when I first started driving.. I cant have one car do everything well, so I build specialized cars instead. I have the room and the skills/knowledge, so why not?

Not all of them have to be fast, but I cant stand not having enough power to pick my spot on the interstate or pass a couple trucks on a two lane. The beater is a V6 intrepid, and I loathe driving it for anything other than to get groceries. its the winter car so the GF drives it.

The Cougar will be a nice car to drive, it will have enough power but not so much its a bear to drive like my toy. But what really gets it for me is a sleeper. A car that looks stone stock, down to the airfilter and whells/tires doesnt sound mean but will put a couple bus lengths on your average LS1 or Cobra.. A 10 second daily driver with manners. its there when you want it, but it doesnt bring all the bs along with it. its in the works now..
Yeah, but the problem with a sleeper, is that you bust loose with stock tires. I noticed I was squealing with my stock tires after I took off the Mag 500's with fatter tires and Ol' Yeller is a stock 289. With only half throttle, I can lay rubber with the stock tires.
Ah but Glen, that is the beauty of "looking" stock, it doesnt have to be stock. imagine if you will, a full frame vehicle with fiberglass doors, front end, and bumpers, set up so it will yank the front end off the ground on a gravel road. completely scienced out suspension with ballast in the right places. But with the fiberglass made to look like stock steel. Yes.. the devious mind of the Thumper has been hard at work... Actually have been planning it for some time now, the engine is in the shop and will displace around 470ci and run on pump gas.

If the Factory Appearing Stock Tire (F.A.S.T) guys can run 12s and 11s in full weight rides that sound stock on bias ply rubber or basic radials, why cant I in a much lighter vehicle with more power.. ah yes.. and it will be a driver too.. we can get it to hook.. it just takes work. Of course you dont want to do that with yeller, so you can spin them reather easily. but without all the effort and getting it to work right, it will be a slug on 7" wide tires..lol.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

I also prefer to cruise in my classic. But like so many others have said here, it is nice to know you have the power there if you want or need it. My 72 is for fun, I doubt it will ever see the drag strip, but I like the comments I get just pulling up to the gas pumps, and all the kids in their little imports giving me the sign to "light em up" at traffic lights, of course I never do, it's just nice know I could if I wanted to.

My 02 GT is for going fast.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

For me handling of the car is number one, hence why i love my friends civic type R it just grips and grips and lotus elise like a big go-kart. Drag racing is boring to me as is nascar ovals and indy cart ovals. I know my stang is more a cruising car and that fine but my favorite road are bendy, off camber going through beautiful country. So speed is 2ndary 90 more than enough!!!

Paddy
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Okay I'll jump, havn't hit 30 yet so I guess I'm still a young buck. I don't like nor need to go fast, but it's like my 40, I like to know that just in case, If I need to I can. Now I'm not saying lets go over the top on it. I'd say around 300 horses is good. But don't you need a giant wing on the back, a carbon fiber hood and a fart can muffler to go fast anyway?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
rigwelder
2nd Gear Member

i usually just ride between the little towns around here at around 55 mph. i dont think ive broke 80 on the highway yet? but i do like the speed when i want it. so when the youngin in the new mustang,camaro or whatever pulls beside me and gooses it. maybe i can show him what his car was derived from!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

i agree i love fast cars but , prefer good looks to speed i love to watch someone burn their tires off but just cant justify putting my own $$$$'s it to it

Quick Reply: Ok fellow NON-speedster types...