Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Repainting Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Repainting Engine Bay

Well, i recieved a 71 Mustang fastback and in the time ive had it , ive managed to take out the engine, strip the fenders and check out how much rust it has. I ordered the new inner fender panels that go under the battery box and a new battery box etc. I plan on weling them in and grinding it down smooth. Now, my question is, What kind of paint WILL stick for a long time. I did so much work getting the thing stripped and cleaned up. Whats the correct process?? My father says just Wirewheel/sand off all of the surface rust/old paint in areas and then once its bare metal spray it with a few coats of rustoleum. BUT. I have never seen anything good come from rustoleum, it always chips! With proper rust removal and soap cleaning is this the correct way to go or should i use rustoleum primer, then the paint?? OR... Your idea?? Thanks! -Jon
Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Repainting Engine Bay

I have always had the best luck with primer, then flat or semi gloss paint. Have to hit it pretty hard to chip.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Any particular brand or type of paint? just enamel? -Jon
Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I believe what I used on my engine bay was Rustoleum and it is really good. Its "hammered" so it has a texture look but smooth feel. Its 7 bucks a can so its kinda expensive but it looks good, hard to scratch, and you dont need to use primer.

If you have your bay smooth now, scuff it up with 220 before you paint so it has something to grab to.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

So the hammer finish is kind of like a bedliner/kennedy tool box type finish look? Not gloss? im not familiar with it. Im kinda lookin for a glossy look under the hood, to reflect all that chrome i just bought just a dress up kit/ chromed carb -Jon
Old 10-23-2006, 01:38 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

It does have a shine to it so it must be semi-gloss to gloss, somewhere in there. Its in acouple colors but I used a really dark gray, almost black one. The paint makes little circle shapes like many small dips, but it is smooth.

Check out Wally-world, thjey have it..
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

por 15 very chip resistant and u can spray or brush it on its self leveling and has a highgloss or u can order it in flat or semi gloss im pretty sure. enamels arent very chip resistant there scratch resistant though
Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I have tried the rust-oleum and also the brite touch from Kragens Auto.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:00 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

por 15 very chip resistant and u can spray or brush it on its self leveling and has a highgloss or u can order it in flat or semi gloss im pretty sure. enamels arent very chip resistant there scratch resistant though
And EXPENSIVE, but worth it. Id go with a spray gun over brushing...
Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I like the Rustoleum hammered paint as well. It looks really good in my '65 F250's engine bay. You may be able to see the details at my cardomain page, but I haven't looked at those pictures for a while.

Quick Reply: Repainting Engine Bay