Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

looking for a classic muscle sound...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 AM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Default looking for a classic muscle sound...

My 71 351c 4v got new ceramic coated Hooker Comps and now I need new exh to fit. I'm looking for a classic muscle sound thats not terribly loud or expensive. The previous owner had thrush glasspacs on it with 2in exh which was pretty poppy and loud on the HW. I can always add some insulation in the interior I just don't want straight pipes.

Any thoughts for a classic sound?

Are flomaster super 40s a good way to go?

X pipe vs H pipe?

I'll be honest, I don't know much and I don't want to spend a fortune either.

Thanks

Caddyman
Old 10-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: looking for a classic muscle sound...

I run an H-pipe and like it. I've never run an x-pipe on my cars to compare with though.

I base my muffler purchases on the internal construction of the muffler. I bought a set of Edelbrock RPM mufflers for my '03 mainly because they are built with a straight exhaust path. They sound great and definitely have a nice throaty sound. My '71 has the most basic pipe in and pipe out arrangement. Dynomax makes a few mufflers with this design. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the Edelbrock RPM mufflers anymore...
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

open headers FTW

jk jk jk, i have true dual exhaust. alot of people on here hav flows 40 series. i think i am going to go the magnaflow route
Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

lol, i just got super 40s with an X pipe. although the X pipe makes it sound a little bit like a late model, heres a vid.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MVI_2132.flv
Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 AM
heavensonfire

Flowmasters and H pipe are the classic touch as said above MagnaFlows are nice....but gonna need dampners or earplugs....I can hear my friends 300zx from about 7 blocks away...wish that was a joke depends if you want deep throaty or loud and ear busting. Could get glass packs?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

lol, i just got super 40s with an X pipe. although the X pipe makes it sound a little bit like a late model, heres a vid.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MVI_2132.flv
Man, she sounds sooo sexy!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:37 AM
The stang II
2nd Gear Member

I have Hooker headers, and flowmaster 10 series (racing exhaust) with h pipe, no cats. Sounds sexy and orgasmic. It's the real muscle car sound. just lke all the flowmasters, GET FLOWMASTERS!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

I want Flowmasters!!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:55 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The stang II

I have Hooker headers, and flowmaster 10 series (racing exhaust) with h pipe, no cats. Sounds sexy and orgasmic. It's the real muscle car sound. just lke all the flowmasters, GET FLOWMASTERS!
lol, orgasmic? At what speed do you go at to get your exhaust to have an orgasmic note?[sm=smiley36.gif]

I am running 40's, 3" x-pipe, 2 1/2" all the way out the back.....definitely sexy.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

I want Flowmasters!!!!!
I just don't understand the obsession with Flowmasters. It's been proven time and time again (in automotive mags and TV shows) that they don't flow as freely as other mufflers. Is it just the name that turns all of you on? Being able to say "I run Flows" on your car? Don't forget: having to have a specific name brand just because everyone else does is the first rule of the ricers. But getting the best performing part is what the muscle cars are about.

I would suggest that some of you check into Dynamax mufflers instead. As much as twice the flow as Flowmasters; lower price; and a great muscle car sound to boot. Glen is sold on the Raven (Midas) brand. It too flows much better than Flowmaster.

If sound is more important to you than performance, then go with the Flows...

Quick Reply: looking for a classic muscle sound...