Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sound like a good deal for a '67?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
rusty959

Default RE: Sound like a good deal for a '67?

guess not... lol. I am positive I want it, I just need to clear up some stuff like how much insurance and how to get it over here, though that is taken care of now. (it is 45 minutes away right now) Thanks all for your help.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:58 PM
rusty959

hmm.... seems like $890 before any discounts for liability....
Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

$500 for a driver is a steal. I have bought rusted out rollers (no engine or trans) for more than that.. If you are young insurance will be pricey, but really if its not restored or a show car, there is no need for full coverage. If someone wrecks it, you wont get it rebuilt anyway. They will total it and give you a $1500 check. Just put the minimum you need to to get it legal, or up the liability part and just forget collision and comprehensive.. Drive carefully, and you wont have any troubles.

make sure you arent paying for something that is your fault though, gotta be sure that side of the insurance is up to date.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
rusty959

Thanks for the tips. As far as being a young driver... you guessed that part right. I am actually only 15, and am wanting to fix this up for a car for once I can drive. This thread was actually more of trying to convince my dad more than me. I have been into r/c for a long time just as something to tinker with, really wating untill I could do it with the real thing. This is really the perfect time to do it too, as my neighbor has said I can keep it in his garage to work on it, as he is turning it into a possible painting booth, (which he already has a compressor and gun) and he also has other stuff that I could use like an engine lift and a welder.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Be weary of neighbors that let you keep stuff in thier garage. Parts could go missing.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Nitro or electric? Planes or cars? I have a REVO 2.5 thats gettin modded this winter and a couple electric buggys for the kids, some planes (elec and gas) and a 36" shockwave nitro boat. I run races at the local RC track here too.

Fullsize is more fun and more expensive, and you cant work on them in your lap or on a table..lol. But the technology is similar and if you can repair RC stuff, you have a good basis for a real one. dont worry if your car takes a while to complete or get running.. My first car is getting the restoration right now.. had it since 1983, havent driven it since 1987. Sometimes it takes a while..
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 PM
rusty959

Electric, nitro, cars. First hobby class r/c car was a traxxas rustler, Probably around 2001 while I was like 11... had that for a while, last summer (2005) got... guess what... a revo 2.5.[8D] Through a deal with a friend I also got two mini-t's as well, though I will probably sell one to the first person who offers to buy it. I used to want a plane, but due to a lack of a place to run one or a way to get to a place, I never have. Since I live near a lake, I have considered getting a boat (probably electric though) but I never seem to get to the lake that often either. Nice to see another r/c person around though.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

That is a steal, I bought mine for $2900...rusted out fuel tank, needed to replace the entire front end (fenders, fender aprons, bumper, etc) and the floor. Rear quarters need to be patched, and I got rust in some other places too.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:05 AM
rusty959

So, I did get it. Here are some pics, including one with the vin number. Also note that I do have all of the body panels and the interior like I said, but we only had the ability to trailer the shell back as you could guess, it was apart for a full restoration. I wasn't able to get a whole lot of pics cause my batteries ran out, but I will get more later. Let me know what you think.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...9/P1010195.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...9/P1010193.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...9/P1010186.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...9/P1010180.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...9/P1010179.jpg
Old 11-18-2006, 06:59 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Are you sure you went and picked up the right car? What new floorpans? You're right about the interior, no rips or tears. The only thing that 67 has in common with a GT is that it has 4 wheels. Now to get serious. Welcome to Mustang Forums. I bet you will be asking lots of questions. You found the right place. If you plan on restoring that beast, get under the car and check the rails for rust. Best place to start is the torque boxes. If they are wasted you can bet the front frame rails are toast too. I can see a big hole in the front passenger side frame in front of the shock tower. If the frame rails are history as the floors are, you might be better off parting it out on e-bay and making a killing on the parts. $500 was still a great deal for what you got. From what I see, it will take $10,000+ to get rid of the rust and restore that car(if you do it yourself). You are young and have lots of time. It would be a great father & son project if you decide to tackle this one. Good luck.
ORIGINAL: rusty959

Hello all. I have recently been faced with a deal, and just want some input from some of you guys to know if it is a good buy or not. It is a '67 hardtop. It wasn't orriginally a gt, but from what the guy said the specs are now basically the same. The engine (302) needs rebuilt. The tranmision (3 speed auto) was rebuilt about 2k miles ago. It has new floor pans and rear quarter panels. The rear end is new as well. (I believe it was a custom made 9.0, but not positive on that) The interior is out of a '70 mach one, but has no rips or tears. I think that is most of all of the info. Though there is some, rust is minimal. It needs repainted though. The body itself has around 84k miles. He is wanting $500 for it. Does that sound like a good deal? Anything about the '67s I should know about? Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Sound like a good deal for a '67?