Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sound like a good deal for a '67?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Sound like a good deal for a '67?

I hope you know that is a 6 banger, and that after you restore the body, you still have a lot of money to fork out for upgrading the running gear.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
rusty959

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

Are you sure you went and picked up the right car? What new floorpans? You're right about the interior, no rips or tears. The only thing that 67 has in common with a GT is that it has 4 wheels. Now to get serious. Welcome to Mustang Forums. I bet you will be asking lots of questions. You found the right place. If you plan on restoring that beast, get under the car and check the rails for rust. Best place to start is the torque boxes. If they are wasted you can bet the front frame rails are toast too. I can see a big hole in the front passenger side frame in front of the shock tower. If the frame rails are history as the floors are, you might be better off parting it out on e-bay and making a killing on the parts. $500 was still a great deal for what you got. From what I see, it will take $10,000+ to get rid of the rust and restore that car(if you do it yourself). You are young and have lots of time. It would be a great father & son project if you decide to tackle this one. Good luck.
ORIGINAL: rusty959

Hello all. I have recently been faced with a deal, and just want some input from some of you guys to know if it is a good buy or not. It is a '67 hardtop. It wasn't orriginally a gt, but from what the guy said the specs are now basically the same. The engine (302) needs rebuilt. The tranmision (3 speed auto) was rebuilt about 2k miles ago. It has new floor pans and rear quarter panels. The rear end is new as well. (I believe it was a custom made 9.0, but not positive on that) The interior is out of a '70 mach one, but has no rips or tears. I think that is most of all of the info. Though there is some, rust is minimal. It needs repainted though. The body itself has around 84k miles. He is wanting $500 for it. Does that sound like a good deal? Anything about the '67s I should know about? Thanks for any help.
Seriously man, did you not read what I wrote? Please allow me to quote my 3rd sentence.

ORIGINAL: rusty959

Also note that I do have all of the body panels and the interior like I said, but we only had the ability to trailer the shell back as you could guess, it was apart for a full restoration.
Why were you poking fun of the interior when you haven't seen it? I have seen it, we just didn't have the ability to bring it back this trip. The rails are fine. Yes, the floor pans are toast, and the new ones aren't installed yet, but I do have them. That hole is from where the battery exploded 2 owners ago, and the guy didn't get the acid out in time. That isn't an example of what the car looks like in hole. And kinda like I said, I do have most of what I need. Approx. 99% or so, I just haven't had the ability to get it here. And yea, it was originally a 6 banger, but like I said in my very first post, it was replaced with a 302.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Glen he has the V8 stands, and 5 lug wheels on it already. yes its rough, and its apart. But it looks like the work already done wasnt a complete hack job. Its a good starting place for him and he can learn EVERYTHING about that car while rebuilding it. Yeah the floor is rusted rightnow, but what would you rather work with, his coupe or my fastback?

Rusty, my first suggestion after seeing pics is take it apart even more. Down to the bare shell and have it media blasted. Its the quickest way to get all the surface rust and crud off. Should run you about $1000, but the time you save that you wont be under it with a wire brush and some sand paper will make up for the cost. Having a clean base to start with makes things MUCH better. Its easier to work on, easier to clean and the final product looks vastly superior to one that wasnt cleaned before the build.

I would have bought it for $500 just for what is there already, especially if it has discs in front. I think the kid did okay, he just needs to learn to weld and rebuild stuff. Looks like he is going to learn how too...
Old 11-18-2006, 04:14 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

No one is poking fun.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] Just trying to have fun "with" you. You have to understand (and you will after you go through your restoration) that alot of us have sooooo much time, money and sweat into ours that seeing yours at the beging and remembering our journey we have to joke or we would cry. I think that lots of us would do it a little different next time but not to say that it was all bad getting here. Your car has potential but to fix up and sell for a profit will be hard to do. It did start out life as a 6 with a small rear end. The interior being of another era and body style, you get into a whole other discussion with some of us. SO short story long, fix up your ride, show us the progress (because we realy do care) and enjoy it as long as you can.[sm=signs003.gif]
Old 11-18-2006, 07:22 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Very well put. I was only poking fun about the interior. I have put more money into my car than it is worth. I think most of us have. It's a love that my wife is envious of[8D]. I think you will find all the help with your car here on mustangforums.
ORIGINAL: LCC

No one is poking fun.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] Just trying to have fun "with" you. You have to understand (and you will after you go through your restoration) that alot of us have sooooo much time, money and sweat into ours that seeing yours at the beging and remembering our journey we have to joke or we would cry. I think that lots of us would do it a little different next time but not to say that it was all bad getting here. Your car has potential but to fix up and sell for a profit will be hard to do. It did start out life as a 6 with a small rear end. The interior being of another era and body style, you get into a whole other discussion with some of us. SO short story long, fix up your ride, show us the progress (because we realy do care) and enjoy it as long as you can.[sm=signs003.gif]
Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

Holy cow, I just saw this post and its deja vu. I bought mine when i was seventeen (although it is a 65). Not all that long ago, mine looked like that too, the difference being that I payed 6000 dollars and did the disassembly myself. I have the same rims and rubber. I wish I had gotten that deal because now I have to worry about ruining the paint further when I work on it plus I put so many hours and so much money into it that I want to cry when I think about it. I bought that thing and for my entire senior year of high school, the only time I got to sleep was in class. Have fun working on it; the only reason I am not sobbing right now is all of the skills I have gained working on it. Learn to weld first, that will lead to fabrication and then your cars possibilities are limitless. Oh yea, I am really messy and my dad wont even go in the garage anymore because he gets so mad so if you are using your neighbor's garage, make sure you clean alot.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
rusty959

Thanks guys for all of your comments. That last reply had to be made quickly so it probably sounded a bit more harsh than it was really meant to be. I just have a problem with the way some people post on forums who don't read what people read... that and those who don't know what the search function is... But yea, when I get the other parts I will post a few pics of them. It does have a 9" rear end as well with some higher gears, but I can't remember the exact number. (it isn't installed of course.) It doesn't have disks, but that is one thing that I will in time be replacing. I can't stand the look of drum breaks. So yea, I have a lot of work to do, so I will be browsing here quite often. Also just for some more explanation, part of the reason my neighbor is helping with the project is because he along with a friend are trying to start up a restoration etc business, and he is trying to get his name out. So yea, I will be learning how to weld etc. I wish my skill in soldering would be of some use... oh well. Honestly, I am glad that it originally had a v6 and had been changed, (as well as a couple other minute changes) as that lets me feel more comfortable with making a few other small changes since it is already not completely original.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

atleast he removed the cowl thats always fun to replace if you have a welder it would be alot easyer and cheaper on you do you have all the body parts or is it only whats in the pictures
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 AM
rusty959

yea, I think he said something like 178 spot welds he had to drill out. I do have all of the body panels, besides the cowl. I believe the only thing I need that I don't have is that cowl, parts to fix that front part where the battery leaked, possibly the driveshaft, (can't remember what he said about it, but I am leaning toward I have it) and misc other parts maybe like bolts or something since there is always the possibility to loose them or something during the disassembly or something.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:55 AM
stanging
2nd Gear Member

You do have quite a project. Get and read as many books on Mustang resto as you can. Mustang Monthly is a good magazine to start with. In fact the November issue has an article on replacing a cowl.
Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Quick Reply: Sound like a good deal for a '67?