Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

went to the dragstrip last Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Justin66GT

Default went to the dragstrip last Sunday

KCIR ended their Wednesday and Friday night drags, but started their limited-schedule Sunday afternoon drags. It was an awesome day weather-wise, and there weren't very many guys out either. I made 3 passes in the Mustang and 3 passes in the STi (daily driver). Above was the best pass for the Mustang (right column), 13.072 @ 105.44 with a 1.918 60 foot time. Other two were 13.1 and 13.2 in the other lane with some wheel hop.

I wanted to break into the 12s so bad... [:@]

Justin
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: went to the dragstrip last Sunday

sounds like you had some fun! what kind of motor do you have?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

soooooo close

ditto what motor
what gearbox
what tyres
what diff and ratio

How do you launch it for that sort of result?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Justin66GT

ORIGINAL: BakoLuke

sounds like you had some fun! what kind of motor do you have?
It was! Had to make it out before they close for the season.

It's a 351W-based 408, using the Eagle kit. ~ 10.5:1 compression. Demon 850 carb, Victor Jr. intake and heads, solid cam. The carb and cam are too big, they were spec'd for nitrous use but I don't have a kit installed. Yet.

Trans is an AOD with a Lentech valvebody and 3k stall. Rear axle is a 9" with 3.25 gears. Tires are 235/60/15 BFG drag radials, no super secret technique I just heat them up a little and then mash it as the tree turns green.

Justin
Old 10-31-2006, 11:15 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Theres plenty more in the tune.. You are leaving a bunch of performance somewhere...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

oh son of a bitch i was hoping he had a reasonable set up that i could drive around the street with lol, hopes = destroyed. [] well sounds fun none the less! i just found a 1/8 mile track not to far from my house that i didnt know was there, gunna head up later next month wonder what ill get out of this 289 c4 2barrel.... (wanna trade?)
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

they are building a new strip near my house gonna be a 1/4 mile drag but they are also gonna have it where they can do 1/8 i think they are wanting to be able to get nhra type stuff in there its been a dirt oval track for years and now they are adding this

i think its time for a cleve powered fox notch with soem chi heads and some high compression
Old 10-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Theres plenty more in the tune.. You are leaving a bunch of performance somewhere...
dont tease...what springs to mind?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Justin66GT

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

I tried to go for a dyno tune in the summer, but they messed up the scheduling. Don't know what kind of RWP numbers I'm making, but realize it was warm for late October and I'm nowhere close to sea level...

I need to get a wideband O2 and learn good tuning techniques. Right now timing is set at 16* initial and 32* total. I had to decrease the total amount of advance, it came from Mallory set to the maximum allowable amount and would want to detonate under load in the lower RPMs. I've also played with the jets (went leaner from stock) and power valve (went to one that needs less vacuum) to help driveability.

But anyway the oversized carb make throttle response less than crisp. I'd have to dig my cam card out but I remember is has a lot of overlap, and pulls very little vacuum at idle. The engine builder set it up as a nitrous motor but I think it's hindering me at the moment.

Justin
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't ditch that demon just yet. What sort of nitrous setup did you have in mind to make an 850 carb neccessary? Also, what kind of contact patch width are you getting with those 235 tires? You might wanna bump up to a larger tread size once you get that nitrous on there.

BTW, with a little tweaking here and there, you will bust into the 12's no problem. Nice runs regardless. You need to get some pics up!

Quick Reply: went to the dragstrip last Sunday