Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

would you support a switch to metric?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: would you support a switch to metric?

Keep your sockets on a rail, and your wrenches in a holder and you don't even have to read...metric or standard.
And where JIC metric runs the head size on nuts and bolts 8,10,12,13,14,17,19,21 SAE metric runs 8,10,13,15,16,19,21.
SAE metric thread pitch changes at different shaft sizes than JIC as well, so you have to be careful with nuts and bolts too.
Yeah, we switched over to metric all right. We just did it different than the rest of the world.
Sometimes I wonder where in the hell these boys got educated.

One advantage with either SAE or JIC metric is that even the coarse thread pitch is finer than N.C.T. So you have more holding power all else being the same.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:57 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

GOOD POINT.... i just dont have to think [>:]
ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Keep your sockets on a rail, and your wrenches in a holder and you don't even have to read...metric or standard.
And where JIC metric runs the head size on nuts and bolts 8,10,12,13,14,17,19,21 SAE metric runs 8,10,13,15,16,19,21.
SAE metric thread pitch changes at different shaft sizes than JIC as well, so you have to be careful with nuts and bolts too.
Yeah, we switched over to metric all right. We just did it different than the rest of the world.
Sometimes I wonder where in the hell these boys got educated.

One advantage with either SAE or JIC metric is that even the coarse thread pitch is finer than N.C.T. So you have more holding power all else being the same.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:44 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Being a European on this board, a brit who lives in the netherlands, plus an being an engineer, metric makes more sense. Having said that I am used to distances being in miles and beer being in pints, i mean proper 20oz pints yours are missing 4oz!!!!, It fun the miles speedo though!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

Then metric system of measuring sound good at first, and works well in science, but it falls far short of the old tried and true system when it comes to communicating in every day life. The metric system forces you to measure things in tens, hundreds and even thousand of inappropriate unit when the English system has the right unit for the right application. Take milk for example. I can get a gallon. If that is too much, I can get a half gallon. If that is not right, I can get a quart. Still too much? How about a Pint? An ounce is just about right for a shot. Dividing thing by 2 for the next logical unit is integral to the human nature. The metric system make you convert those halves into a number of tenths. Besides, I did not grow up with it, so it can’t be any good.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

Our system of length is also well suited to intuitive communication be between humans. If you hold you thumb and fore finger out to describe a small distance, that is about an inch. If you hold hour hands out in front of you with your elbow bent, that is about a foot. If you hold your hands out in front of you with your arms straight, that is about a yard. The metric system falls short on all but one of these fundamental lengths. When you want to communicate the amazing acceleration of your car, a quarter mile is just about right.
By the way, why hasn’t anybody touted metric time units?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

The US uses the metric system in all sciences but just not for the common practice of carpentry, fasteners, and measurements by layfolk. I use the metric system every day at work. Easy as pie. Fortunately, the common measurements are changing slowly i.e. 2-liter soda bottle.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

i prefer to mesure things by barrels, rods, cubits and such
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

*sigh* guess all the tools in the tool box will need to be slowly replaced...wonder if anyone will pay to convert/replace them as it goes along.

I for one am happy with the current system...standard nuts n bolts and that occasional screwed up "why did they make something like this pos!" nut. Save metric for them thinking boys, im happy with how it is.

I voted no.

Edit: Ah yesss and I like to measure things between the index and thumb with a "its about this big".
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

They told us back when I was in high school in the very early 60's that we were going to start switching to base 10. So, we started learning the system, but that kinda fell through. I lived in Europe for many years, and got used to it. I wouldn't want to have to change out all the bolts on Ol' Yeller, but I could see all the new cars coming out with it. So, I guess in a way, I am for it.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
67Stang68
2nd Gear Member

No way well maybe after I sell my Mustang and move to Canada , just kidding

Quick Reply: would you support a switch to metric?