Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

would you support a switch to metric?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default would you support a switch to metric?

I made mention of switching to Metric on another forum and kind of started something, so I thought Id post it a little more formally here. Would you support an official U.S. switch to metric? This would mean temperatures being read in Celcius, distance measured in kilometers, buying pop by the .5 liter, weighing your car in kilograms, etc etc etc. The U.S. is about the only (if not THE only) country to still use the antiquated english system of measure. so without using a calculator or a conversion chart or anything, how many inches in a mile? how many cups in a quart? how many pints in a gallon? water freezes at what? 32? boils at 212? ...he told me to remember 32 ounces, but did he mean volume or weight?? With the metric system,theres no need to remember all this jibberish since the entire measuring system is liters, meters, and grams. Simple as that, with the prefixes (kilo, deci, milli, etc) being the only multiple to remember, and its all based on tens! I think my view is pretty obvious, so whats yours? Would you support an official switch to metric or not?

...and hopefully this works right, this is the first poll ive ever done
Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 AM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: would you support a switch to metric?

base 10 makes much more sense!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:43 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah might as well theres not a new car thats made that doesnt have metric hardware. ill never support a single monetary system like the euro in europe though
Old 11-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Why be a follower? The US has a very large infrastructure and the true cost to convert would be very large. It'd be better to spend the money on something that is actually worth while...like defense.

The US is slowly converting, which is the speed you really want to go.

BTW, you can't weigh anything in kilograms. The proper unit for force is the Newton. Grams are used for mass. And you thought the US system is messed up?

Why would you use an inch to measure a distance of a mile? 1 mile, 184 yards, 2 feet, and 10 inches. Works for me. I don't need to say that's 70,018 inches....kinda stupid, really. Quick....how many millimeters to the moon?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BakoLuke

base 10 makes much more sense!
THANK YOU! and great sig pic too!

ORIGINAL: rmodel65
ill never support a single monetary system like the euro in europe though
we already have it. we have 50 seperate states, all of which use the same currency. ya, I know, a little different but still. They had a bazillion different countries, none of which were much bigger than Michigan and all used different currencies. But lets not get on a tangent here.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

the official system for the us is the metric system look it up we had this discussion a while ago in physics
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

would you consider speaking Chinese tomorrow? Not a chance!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

There are definite differences between the American metric version and what the rest of the world uses. I've got a tool box full of crap to prove it.
The switch has both cost us a lot of money, as well as added a lot of money to the economy. My thread pitch gauge gets a workout. Then you talk about hydraulic fittings, heck we've got SAE, JIC, Whetworth...
It's enough to drive you to drinking Coors by the Liter!

I think the Canadians did a better change over than we did. That said, our gross national product dwarfs the rest of the North American continent so this is much more complex an issue. Just look at the amount of lobbyists we had working to slow this whole thing down.

New Mustangs, give me metrics. Classic Mustangs, I want a G.T.350, not a G.T.140
Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i like metrics, but not for wrenches. im used to american metrics for tools
Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

its just damm easier !!!! damm the 13 doesnt fit too small ok 14..... Now we dont have to think

Quick Reply: would you support a switch to metric?