Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Running HOT !

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Default Running HOT !

Well, got the motor put back together. Flushed the radiator, new hoses, thermostat housing, 180 degree thermostat, summit aluminum radiator, and fan shroud.

Drove it around the block and the water temp gauge pegged out at 250 degrees!

What's the deal? Bad thermostat? Water pump?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Running HOT !

did u install the head gaskets correctly with the word front to the top of the engine and in the front?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

yeah i was pretty meticulous about that stuff -

i just checked the motor again after 2hrs of sitting w/ the hood open, it's at 175degrees.

what's the trick w/ putting the thermostat in boiling water? just watch if it opens?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah
Old 11-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i hate that about thermos how then can be defective
Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Make sure the thermostat is put in right. The long nose with the spring goes in toward the engine. With the cap off, start the engine and look inside the radiator to see if water is circulating at operating temperature. Check the bottom hose to make sure it is not collapsing. If it is, then the spring in the hose is shot.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

100% positive the thermostat is right-side-up. At 200 degrees the water is motionless in the radiator, lower is fine.

Looks like it's time to drain the SOB again!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Check the thermostat first before you drain it all. If the thermo opens in boiling water, then suspicion the water pump. If that is OK, then you may have a clog somewhere like in the rad or one of the main water passages in the block.

On edit: Double check your fan to make sure you put it on right. The blades slant back toward the engine so it pulls and not pushes the air. Also, feel of that lower rad hose to make sure it is stiff from the spring being inside. If not, then you need to get the correct bottom hose with the spring in it because the hose will collapse under pressure, therefore shutting off the flow of water.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Thermostat does open in boiling water....

Does the coolant flow from the lower hose up through the block or down through the block from the upper hose?

I suspect now maybe radiator clog? Since no coolant is not visibly moving through it...

(should it be rushing through the radiator? it's pretty calm but not sure what the flow rate should be)

or maybe the water pump went out, that was the ONE thing i didnt replace (fan still spins though, but that has nothing to do with it?)

Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The water pump may act like it is working because the fan belt is turning it, but the bearing could have gone out and the pump is not actually working. However, usually whenever the pump bearing goes, you have a lot of leakage. If your pump is not leaking, most likely it is OK. Yes, you should be getting a good flow over the top of the radiator. It will look like a fast river running, and the water runs from the bottom of the radiator to the engine, then back through the top hose to run down through the radiator to get it cooled.
If I were you, I would take the radiator out, then take the water pump off and make damn sure the pump is still turning. If it is, then all you have spent is a little bit for a gasket and some goop. If not, then you have found your problem. If the pump is still in good shape, then either the rad is clogged, or you have a clog in the block.

Quick Reply: Running HOT !