Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

would u restore this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: would u restore this car?

Why do people continually keep buying rust buckets is beyond me.

I mean, you look like you are ready to invest a few thousand dollars to have a decent ride, cut your loses, and like Soaring said, get rid of it, buy yourself a decent one not quite ready for the junkyard yet.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Sell it! For 7-8k you can buy a decent running mustang...
Old 11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Sell the lame pony to thumpin or 72rustang they like nothing better than making mustangs raise from the dead!!! and get a better example, some time your have to shoot horses for there own good.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

someone on e-bay will buy it, they always do, but you are probably better off parting it out, just use creative marketing, I picked mine up for 5500 and still think I paid a little much, but it was an impulse buy, and I still love it!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

post some pics of it, it depends on where and how bad its rusted. But if you wanted a vert Mustang, you have one. Its not often you actually make money by rebuilding a car anyway. But if done right you can enjoy driving it and the rebuilding process as well. Sure I may never make my money back on the 71, but at this point.. I dont need to make money on it. If you rebuild it, drive it for a few years, get the enjoyment from it, and better yet, its built how YOU wanted it.. well thats worth money in my book.

Lets say you buy a new car for $20,000. In 5-10 years it isnt worth $250. Lets say you put that same $20,000 into an old 60's car, the value is going up on them so it still might not be worth $20,000 but it could be worth $15,000, or more if you find someone else that wants a vert Mustang just like yours.

I figure, so what if I cant make my money back out of it. I cant make it back from a new car, and I get to build them how I want them. Insurance is cheaper, repairs are easy, and the sky is the limit when you have something that far gone.. you can go any direction since its a 6 cylinder you wont hurt the value like you would if it was a 428CJ car..

you wanted it for a reason, you have it now. Do something with it. Buy a welder and learn how to repair these things. Or just do like these guys say, give up on it and crush it or sell it..

we buy rusty cars because we dont live in California, or the desert.. there isnt much up here that isnt rusty. I got lucky with my Cougar, since it was in California for most of its time before I bought it. Then it was stored inside so its in good shape. the GTO's and Firebirds arent so lucky.. They have rust and just because it has some doesnt mean I am gonna throw away a car I have lusted after since I was 12. I finnaly have one, and dammit I am gonna do something with it! That s my take on it..

of course being a certified mater tech with a shop, time, and the ability to do anything to a car makes a difference.. restoring a rusty old car is not for the weak soul or easily disenchanted.. its a delayed gratification thing. Some just dont get it. Oh and the Mustang will be moving along again because the Cougar will be ready for paint next week. Doing the under hood this week, and finishing the body work. the Mustang will be a fun toy, not sure if it will be a drag type or a corner carver, or just something that looks good and moves good. The beauty of the rusted out car is anything is possible and its worth less than nothing to everyone else.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:18 PM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187
Sell the lame pony to thumpin or 72rustang they like nothing better than making mustangs raise from the dead!!!
LOL, but sorry, I'm done with total rustbuckets. For 700 bucks the 72 *seemed* to be a complete running, driving car that didn't need a terrible amount of work. And then I found out that it was about 70% of a complete running, driving car, that did need a fairly terrible amount of work. But yet again, nothing majorly structural. I have a lot of respect for the guys here who can redo entire major structural sections, and it seems there are quite a few here undertaking such projects.

The 68 cougar was an otherwise lifelong CA car, absolutely no rust anywhere except where the factory paint wore thru. I think the only way I'd take on another project similar to the 72 would be if it were a 30s or 40s car to build as a hot rod. Something like a 1946-1947 cadillac or olds fastback or pontiac silverstreak (all very similar cars) might make me do something really, really stupid, like buy one.

To the original poster, I guess if it were me I'd clean up and sell whatever parts you can and otherwise just cut your losses. On the other hand, if you can pull this off you will have acquired some serious skills. But building a frame more or less from scratch has got to be a whole lot more difficult than just replacing trunk / floor / taillight panels.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

just to add another 2 or 3 cents, Like I said my car cost me 5500, and it passes the 5ft rule, but I'm planning on dumping way more than 7 to 8K into it to get it where I want it, but that's just me, now if I already paid 7 or 8K then I'd probably only put 4 or 5 more into it but who knows what new doodad I may want or what I want to change, I've already spent 500 for exhaust, and 300 for the rear, I'm looking at 5k to redo the entire engine compartment (including the engine rebuild) about anoterh 1500~2000 on the interior, 1000 for body mods, over a grand for new windows, and probably over 5k for body work and paint, and I havn't even gotten to the suspension, steering rebuild, front disc rebuild, or rear disc conversion yet. but hey that's just me! Oh by the way here is what my 5500 got me (so you can see it in real life not how it is in the sig)

[IMG]local://upfiles/42304/D3F2D43097AA4A528C6B8E906D7345FC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

mmmm PHANTOMS FTW!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

loud buggers aren't they??
Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

somehow I think the U2 is louder... it hangs around longer thats for sure.. a flight of F16s or F15s takin off at Osan would make me wait to hear what people said on the phone... and I wasnt close to the flightline at all.. eh jets.. what ya gonna do?

Quick Reply: would u restore this car?