Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Electric vs. Mech Fans

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Fuzzydicedad

Default Electric vs. Mech Fans

Hi - I'm FuzzyDiceRules Dad (69 Mach I, 420 HP Engine, March Serpentine, etc). After 2 weeks in operation my new SPAL 2070 CFM fan died (motor completely dead). Unfortunately, I bought the fan over 1 year ago (as part of the parts gathering phase) and it is therefore out of warranty.
I'm considering going to a manual fan but my question is:

1. Whats preferred, electric or manual
2. What has more cooling power.
3. If electric, what brand. The guy at Mustangs Plus recommended Flex-A-Lite Low Boy Electric Fan at 2500 CFM which should be plenty. I'm definately not going back to a SPAL
4. I'm considering just leaving the fan on all the time and getting rid of the fan thermostat. I like cool running engines (just put in a 160 degree thermostat)
What's the recommendation

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated. It's not pretty looking down on your new gauges and seeing 240 degrees on the brand new engine (and stopped at the worlds longest stoplight)

FuzzyDiceDad ...

Old 11-06-2006, 07:00 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Electric vs. Mech Fans

I would write to spal and give them some words, 1) you vent your spleen very healthly for you 2) you never know they might give you a new one 3) so you will not recommend there products to any of the mustang forums that you are a active member of.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

im also interested in what others will have to say....cuz im getting a whole new set up.....and that was going to be my next question to ask....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Gun Jam

+1 on spal contact tell them just what you told us.
They are an upstanding company as far as I know I guess we will find out just how upstanding.

The manual fan constantly robs HP and is an utter waste above 20 mph.
A clutch fan would be better.

I have the black magic electric by flexalite (I think) been on there 5+ years daily driver never an issue runs great.

Some will say electric robs HP by putting a load on the alternator (which is true) but you need to remember that is only comes on at speeds below 10 mph usually then off right away when above 20 mph.

Gun
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

throw a lincoln/taurus fan in there

Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Toddman0025

throw a lincoln/taurus fan in there

+1 the lincolnm fan pulls more air that the tarurus fan something like 3600scf i beileve and can be had for the total price of 20-40$ at a junkyard and theres an unlimited supply between the two (the tarurus uses the sqame motor but the pitch of the blades are different)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

what year and you might as well grab one of their alternators too they are nice i put one on my truck i got the 130Amp one off of a taurus and its might nice my lites never dim and it has a nice internal regulator
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the mark 8 are the 93 and up i believe any year tarurus has the fans and alternators
Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fuzzydicedad

Hi - I'm FuzzyDiceRules Dad (69 Mach I, 420 HP Engine, March Serpentine, etc). After 2 weeks in operation my new SPAL 2070 CFM fan died (motor completely dead). Unfortunately, I bought the fan over 1 year ago (as part of the parts gathering phase) and it is therefore out of warranty.
I'm considering going to a manual fan but my question is:

1. Whats preferred, electric or manual
2. What has more cooling power.
3. If electric, what brand. The guy at Mustangs Plus recommended Flex-A-Lite Low Boy Electric Fan at 2500 CFM which should be plenty. I'm definately not going back to a SPAL
4. I'm considering just leaving the fan on all the time and getting rid of the fan thermostat. I like cool running engines (just put in a 160 degree thermostat)
What's the recommendation

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated. It's not pretty looking down on your new gauges and seeing 240 degrees on the brand new engine (and stopped at the worlds longest stoplight)

FuzzyDiceDad ...

As new as it is, it should still look like it came right out of the box. Might include a picture with the letter. Spal is an OEM supplier, their stuff is normally good, and they do have a good reputation.

Just my opinions to your questions

1). I like electric, more efficient (like has been stated by Gun Jam above
2). Mechanical fan has more cooling power. Definitely think about a quality clutch fan, if you go mechanical.
3). I like the Flex-a-light Black magic Extreme, High end Spal stuff. Taurus did have an issue with fan motors dying so if you go that way (and it's a great inexpensive way to go) get one from the newest vehicle you can find, or buy a new replacement fan motor.
4). While Fords like to run cooler than Chevy's, I'd suggest regulating your temp at 180*F. The car burns off crankcase emissions better for less sludge, and acidic formations. I'm a huge fan (dumb pun intended) of the newer high end fan controls. They use PWM for easy start, and efficient running.
No mater what electric fan you go with, you need proper wiring, and a good altenator. Something in the neighbor hood of 80A would work well.
One last thing. No matter which way you go, a quality fan shroud that covers the whole core, and seals tight to the radiator is the way to go.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I had an electric for a while. But, I was disappointed with both the noise and how much it was pulling my engine down at idle (200-300 rpm) versus the flex fan I had been running. And, that is with a 100A 1-wire alternator and undersize crank pulley. I spent (wasted) $300+ dollars on a setup that is now gathering dust. I have my flex fan sitting right in the mouth of the shroud and have no cooling issues with a 11.7:1 302 built to run hard.

About the t-stat, I built my engine to run a 160* stat, but I had to make sure my machinist knew that's what I was going to run (different tolerances). Most engines are machined to run a 192* stat nowadays.

Quick Reply: Electric vs. Mech Fans