Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

export brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: export brace is an excellent upgrade

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

ORIGINAL: Halz5

Their is a small time local mustang parts guy around my area and one day i was at his shop and asked him about monte carlo bars or export braces and he basically said dont waste your time on a monte carlo bar. He showed me the export braces he sells and they are a WORLD of difference from the originals. They go all the way around the shock tower instead of that C the originals made and they are much thicker. My original ones you can twist and they are 2 pieces, i couldnt budge this one and its one solid piece. For i believe 30 bucks? Its a great investment for your mustang.
hey whats that guys name so i can call and order one
The name is Millers Classics his number is (815) 827-3520 or fax (815) 827 -3602

He works out great for me because i dont have to pay for shipping.

The export brace is 39 black or 49 chrome.

I dont doubt u can get the braces cheaper somewhere else but i am buying through him because i got to physically see it and mess with it.

If ya decide to give him a call tell him Pat Halsey sent ya.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I dont doubt u can get the braces cheaper somewhere else but i am buying through him because i got to physically see it and mess with it.

I know what you mean. I bought a lot of stuff to redo the interior of my Mustang before I found out about a local guy in my city who has a small shop where he restores Mustangs and sells parts for the classics. The suspension parts I got there were much sturdier and looked just like the originals-except they were covered in paint instead of dirt and grease. His prices are anywhere from a little less to a little more than the cheapest prices I found online, and he'll give you advice on any problems you should look for or be aware of and what to do. Plus if it's in stock I can look at it right there and have it that day instead of waiting a week for it to be shipped here.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lumbergh

I know what you mean. I bought a lot of stuff to redo the interior of my Mustang before I found out about a local guy in my city who has a small shop where he restores Mustangs and sells parts for the classics. The suspension parts I got there were much sturdier and looked just like the originals-except they were covered in paint instead of dirt and grease. His prices are anywhere from a little less to a little more than the cheapest prices I found online, and he'll give you advice on any problems you should look for or be aware of and what to do. Plus if it's in stock I can look at it right there and have it that day instead of waiting a week for it to be shipped here.

Exactly, i was talking to Steve (Steve Miller) last week when i picked up my radiator and a few parts, he had about 10 mustangs in his shop and was showing different ideas with mine. Showed me that export brace and some other options i had. Said if i ever need to see what a part looks like or need help with something to just stop on by. Great guy, even if the price are higher sometimes it worth it with the service.

I hate sounding like a cheerleader but it really is great having a local shop that specializes in ur car
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Halz,

Sometimes a 5 bucks more on a part = 20 bucks in advice and a coffee. Now to get the export brace in is always fun
Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187

Halz,

Sometimes a 5 bucks more on a part = 20 bucks in advice and a coffee. Now to get the export brace in is always fun
The old ones arent bad to get in because they flex. New ones dont. This guy suggested jacking the car up around the door pillar area... and letting the front end sag a bit to get it to line up a little better.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 AM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

great input guys i think i'll try to contact source provided and pick one up... will be putting it on my wifes 65 coupe...she likes to do the straight line thing, i love the corners!!! so if this will help ME have fun, i'm go'in for it!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Highly recommend replacing the bar. Quite possibly the best money spent so far. I had the message mine into place with some 2x4 wood and a bottle jack but it was well worth the time spent.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I noticed a difference with the addition of the Monte Carlo bar. A little stiffer on cornering.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 PM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

Damn, the descrition of the heavy export brace sounds like the old Shelby American unit. It bolted to the firewall in the same spot but mounted to the three shock tower bolts. You had to pull the upper shock mounts off the car, put the brace under the lip on the firewall, the rotate it down over the shock mount studs to install it. Jacking the car under the front to let the shock towers "spread" slightly would probably have helped. Getting it down over the studs was the biggets pain, the firewall wasn't too bad.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

lebaront, If my memory serves me correctly they were orginal on the T-5's due to the worse european roads, hence the name, i think was the quote. Shelby put them on his cars for better handling. Not sure if the new ones and old export brace are different but mine is meant to bolt on the top off the lip were the original braces were.

Quick Reply: export brace