Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

export brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: export brace is an excellent upgrade

Soaring....i see in your gallery pics you have the welded in bracing as ours has....have you added an aftermarket export brace? if so -did you remove the stock braces? if you had to assign a percent to your improved cornering, with the monte carlo bar, what would it be? our is sloppy in the corners. i'm trying to tighten it up to prevent that 'your not gonna like this' feeling on the switchback on the interstate ramps. someone told me to also check that the shock towers are not pulling apart. i need to find out about that also. i have no idea where to look for cracks, but i'm sure i will know if i see one.......don
Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Don,
Soaring's is like mine you have a weld part on the shock tower and then a bolt in crossmember, just unbolt the cross member, and place brace over top you can remove the welded part if you want to remove a bit of weight plus it looks nicer but not necessary. Soaring has just fitted a monte carlo bar there is a thread from about a month back or so when he did it (soaring's going slightly restomod in his old age!!!). Check the FAQ about export brace and monte carlo bar. If you can't fit the brace most likely your shock tower have moved, mine have, the shock towers seem about 10 mm closer to the firewall of the car, so I have a couple of plans to get it to fit jack up add axle stands to front behind engine loosen support brace near shock tower so it can move and pray for the towers to move, or jack up put axles under lower arms like when replacing front shocks hopefully one of the two will work. Looking for cracks around the shock and supension fitting would be my guess if they have cracked i would think it would be there. Hope this helps

Paddy
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

What makes the export brace so good is the one piece design with deep draws. I installed the better version from NPD that uses thicker metal and has deeper draws than the cheaper ones.
+1. Don't go for cheap. Go for thick.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

+2 you want go and not so much show