Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Making a Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default Making a Center Console

I think I'm going to be making my center console soon because it would be a lot cheaper then the humphugger and I could give it more function. Right now I am thinkink of a cigarette lighter (to plug iPod into), 2 cupholders, a small area for change, storage area, and wrap it in black leather or vinyl. I'm going to make a cardboard template first and then do the rest. My question is whether or not anyone else has done it and if anyone has ideas/tips?

Edit: Here is a really bad quick paint image I just drew up for example:

[IMG]local://upfiles/32228/01C42901B45A4BBE8007BB022479C1E2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Making a Center Console

bump. anyone?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 PM
ngirg001
2nd Gear Member

thats pretty innovative, keep us updated
Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If done right, it will look great. I wouldn't even attempt something like that though. Good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Try using foam insulation board instead of cardboard. You can also get what is called FANFOLD at places like menards/home depot. I build RC planes from it, but a console would be an easy project. you can use a heat gun to bend it to any shape you desire. It takes a bit of practice to get it right with the heat, but a stack of the stuff was less than $40 and I plan to make headliners out of similar stuff. A console would be a neat project using that stuff. you can glue it together using foam compatible CA adhesive, available at hobby stores selling RC planes. Door panels would be pretty easy to make too. Been thinkin of using that stuff for the base of all the interior parts on my sleeper. Very lightweight and quite strong when heated and curved with a bit of epoxy or CA on it.

Foam insulation board can be shaped with hacksaw blades, it makes a huge mess so dont do it in the house where mom or the wife will have to clean it up..lol. We have made RC boats, planes, and all sorts of stuff with it. When you have the desired shape to it, fiberglass resin works great to smooth it out and give it enough structural strength to be a console. Cup holders would be a nice addition in our old rides, much better than holdin that steamin hot coffee between your thighs.. and spillin it on sensitive parts..lol.

I got my ideas from here. Me and my brother are on there, hes much more active than I am. I am into cars more during the warm months. When it gets too cold I retreat inside and build RC planes.. right next to the fireplace..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Give this a try. Take some foam insulation board, glue them together with 5-minute epoxy until you have the right height and thickness. Then carve and sand away what doesnt look like a console. Then cover with fiberglass, fill and sand with gel-coat, paint to color desired and install. This has worked for me on the airplane I built and and its strong and good looking.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Dan66 did one like that. Came out really nice. You might search the classic forum under his name, and put console in the body of the search. He even had nice pictures. IIRC, instead of gauges he installed his A/C ducts to look more factory. He also made his own overhead console that looks just as trick. I think there is a thread on that as well.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

styrofoam and polyester resin dont mix. Do not put these two together, you can use polystyrene with polyester resin or styrofoam with epoxy resin. Be careful not to mix the resin too hot or the foam will melt. If you use styrofoam and polyester resin, the styrofoam will disolve and you will end up with nothing to show for your work but a pile of fiberglass. Trust me, I speak from experience. One of the best ways to build fiberglass parts is to build a frame of wood, many people use mdf, and then stretch felt over it, stapling the felt to the frame. Then wet the felt with the two part resin mix. After it is hard, you can then make any small modifications you want to. Then glass over it. This way you can easily build the frame in the car so you know it will fit then actually build it outside the car. I will be doing this eventually, just depends when I have money and time.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Wow thanks those were some great replies. I'll look into those cardboard/wood alternatives and hopefully be able to let you guys know how things went soon. I'm in a bit of a conflict for money right now since soccer just ended and I don't have a job yet but if all goes well I'll get one this week. Pics should be up as soon as it's affordable.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Here are a few pics off another mustang forum. Can I post the links to these threads since they are from a different forum? They have lots of good info in them that will help him out.

Here's one.

Another guys

Another one

Quick Reply: Making a Center Console