Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

acid tank dip cost for fenders/hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:06 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default acid tank dip cost for fenders/hood

Anyone ever had their fenders/hood dipped in the acid tank - I am thinking about going down this road vs. stripping with a wheel (I don't like using the aircraft paint remover). I have finished stripping and putting bed liner on the fenderwells and am now prepping the inside of the fenders - thinking that the dip may be ticket to get out old paint in the cracks - same thing on the hood (some moron put several layers of paint on the inside of the hood and it is going to be next to impossible to get it all off because I can't get underneath all the metal pieces). How much is a good price here guys?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: acid tank dip cost for fenders/hood

only problem is the acid sitting in the cracks afterwards sure it will get all the old paint out. but it can also lead to paint failure if any acid is left over? why do u not like the aircraft stripper? its very easy to use?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

good old sanding is the best way ive found......strippers seem to just make a huge mess and take forever and u end up sanding off the mess anyways......
Old 11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

Try taking it to a refinishing shop for chairs and tables and other wood stuff. I spent a summer stripping and sanding furniture and while it sucked, they did have the capabilities to strip fenders and a hood if I had wanted to. There was even a big tank of stripper that could be used to immerse the fenders. I wouldnt suggest stripping yourself, it isnt any fun and if you are not protected you can end up burned like crazy, plus the commercial places have much stronger stripper (it used to eat through the rubber gloves). Just go get a couple quotes for whichever way you plan to go, if there arent any places in the area, you can email all kinds of businesses and they usually reply quickly.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

good old sanding is the best way ive found......strippers seem to just make a huge mess and take forever and u end up sanding off the mess anyways......
Id like to see u do that thoroughly on the bottom side of a hood..
Old 11-18-2006, 09:45 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking to take it to a place that has tanks where you immerse the entire part in the dip and they then dip it in neutralizer to make sure all the acid has been taken care of. Getting in the little cracks under the hood is going to be a ****. I almost thought of just buying a fiberglass shelby hood, but had about 500 reasons why I shouldn't (course that would take care of any bondo as there is a small dent in the front)

I have never used the stripper but have had friend that had horror stories when they didn't get all the acid neutralized............ The fenders are not dented or anything - I could probably just scuff it up reall good and then use bed liner on the inside part and probably be ok, but then I would know............
Old 11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Why not media blast it?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Why not media blast it?

on the bottom of a hood or in the headlight bucket of a fender, then yeah media blast, but for the big surface u dont want to screw it up that bad and warp it and stuff.....thats where a sanding/stripping wheel comes in....i can do a fender in a few hours taking breaks....
Old 11-19-2006, 12:03 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

depends what they blast it with i had my whole car done they used something kinda like baking soda it didnt mess up anything
Old 11-19-2006, 03:45 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Given the areas behind the headlights on the fenders and area on the underside of the bonnet - I reckon this could be media blasted but would you ever get all the media out. Still feeling the acid tank, there is a powder coating place in El Monte not far from where I live - gonna give these guys a buzz on Monday, looking to paint the engine compartment and get the fenderwells done so we can start putting things back together

Quick Reply: acid tank dip cost for fenders/hood