Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Aerosol Epoxy Primer???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Aerosol Epoxy Primer???

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part.cfm#

can i use this aerosol epoxy primer to prime my bare metal quarter panel? is there any other primer i can spray on it thats an aerosol or something since i don't have an air compress and there isn't really an entry level compressor out there...everything is like hundreds of dollars from what i can see....might as well get someone else to do it almost...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:36 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Aerosol Epoxy Primer???

I researched this quite a bit and my understanding is that you just cannot put the chemicals into a spray can that give the automotive quality paints their durability. The primer is the foundation for the other paints and a poor foundation... well you know. Here is a link to an excellent forum on automobile painting.
http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index
Old 11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Wow, thats pretty damn expensive. Im using rattle can red oxide and then sanding it down smooth. Im finishing up my hood soon as more sandpaper arrives and then doing my fenders. Cans are 9 bucks at a local store, and its what Ford used on the classics, so it cant be bad...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Wow, thats pretty damn expensive. Im using rattle can red oxide and then sanding it down smooth. Im finishing up my hood soon as more sandpaper arrives and then doing my fenders. Cans are 9 bucks at a local store, and its what Ford used on the classics, so it cant be bad...
Sure, Ford used red oxide, but they didn't use rattle cans. If you really want to do it right where it will last a long time, you need to use an air spray gun. Yep, it costs for a decent air compressor and all the related paint accessories, but they will last you the rest of your live, and I guarantee you will use it often once you learn how. Anything that needs paint from cars to houses and bicycles look so much better with it instead of the rattle can.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

so i can just use regular sandable primer or etching primer to use with bare metal and/or after filler work for now and it should last for a while right? im prob gonna get a maaco status paint job for Christmas because i need my car to be drivable asap. eventually when i get the money i will want a real paint job but its not in the cards right now it seems like. everyone made it seem like if you use anything but epoxy air compressor primer under the paint it will jump off the car or something....
Old 11-29-2006, 05:06 PM
garkin

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part.cfm#

can i use this aerosol epoxy primer to prime my bare metal quarter panel? is there any other primer i can spray on it thats an aerosol or something since i don't have an air compress and there isn't really an entry level compressor out there...everything is like hundreds of dollars from what i can see....might as well get someone else to do it almost...
ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

so i can just use regular sandable primer or etching primer to use with bare metal and/or after filler work for now and it should last for a while right? im prob gonna get a maaco status paint job for Christmas because i need my car to be drivable asap. eventually when i get the money i will want a real paint job but its not in the cards right now it seems like. everyone made it seem like if you use anything but epoxy air compressor primer under the paint it will jump off the car or something....
Hey Shifty,

This 2k epoxy is a very good product that works well for all types of bare metal. This aerosol is built with a cylinder inside the can that actually holds the catalyst/hardener that makes this product equivelent to what a body shop would use. The way it works is when you get your can it has a button on the bottom that you depress and it cracks the cylinder inside the can releasing the catalyst/hardener, you then shake it well and begin spraying. After you crack the inner cylinder you have a life expectency of 72 hours at 70 degrees. The difference between this product and what a body shop would use is it's coming out of a disposible aerosol can and not a spraygun which requires a compressor. Typically most aerosol primers are limited at best. They don't have the corrosion resistance or the etching capabilities that Epoxy Primers have and that is what makes the primer "jump off the car" as you would say. Hope this helps.

garkin