Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air Compressor Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Air Compressor Opinions

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90234

life sucks without a compressor...ive got a bunch of crap i could be doing but cant without air tools. okay, so i need a cheap compressor for....

Small Painting/Primering Of Parts...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91009
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90977

Small Sanding Of Small Areas Maybe
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2629

A Little Griding Too Maybe
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93157

plus other non-car related stuff most likely....

according to the numbers, this stuff should all work together....should it not? if you see anything that doesn't gel, or you know of something better let me know. remember...extreme budget....thanks...

Old 11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Air Compressor Opinions

Tank is way to small! I have a 26 gallon tank 150 psi and when I use it with my angle grinder the pump is running constantly! I was told that I need to go up to at least a 30 gallon tank. If I keep using my current compressor the way I have I'm going to burn out the motor. If only there was a AC DA Sander...............
Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

For a budget I wouldnt go any less than Sears. 3 hp single stage will get most of it done for you. I have a 7hp 80 gallon and running the DA it will keep up and sometimes shut off. It also runs the bead blaster, sandblaster, impact(@110psi) and does all the other things I need. Going with one of those will be $1000 at least, so its not a budget thing and it requires 220v.

harbor freight is very cheap stuff. I have broken everything but the small press I got from them. Of course the press is a small one with a bottle jack on it, so there isnt much to break. Its easier to work with than the large 10 ton press in the other corner of the shop. I guess what I am trying to say is buy something better because that pos will break in short order. And it wont hang with a sander, it will burn up long before you get the car sanded.

Not too much good to say about HF.. they are a LONG way from professional quality. Some of it is even scary for a backyard shadetree type to use.

Just looked on summit racing and found this one for $10 more, it puts out more air, and I would trust it longer than the HF sourced one. They are both very small, and a sander will work them pretty freakin hard..

Clarke compssr at Summitracing
Old 11-21-2006, 05:19 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i got a 2stage husky from the home depot 80gal its good for a single person to run anything u want off of it i think it was 800$ it uses 220 also
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grimm

Tank is way to small! I have a 26 gallon tank 150 psi and when I use it with my angle grinder the pump is running constantly! I was told that I need to go up to at least a 30 gallon tank. If I keep using my current compressor the way I have I'm going to burn out the motor. If only there was a AC DA Sander...............

from what i could tell it isnt about tank size as long as the cfm can outpace the cfm of the tool....i guess if you say the engine will break if its run too much then that makes sense to have a big tank....hard to tell.

and yes....i REALLY wish there was a DA sander in electric form....
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

+1 on the electric DA sander, guess you could just get an orbital and mimic the motions and also build up your arms at the same time[:-]
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

For a budget I wouldnt go any less than Sears. 3 hp single stage will get most of it done for you. I have a 7hp 80 gallon and running the DA it will keep up and sometimes shut off. It also runs the bead blaster, sandblaster, impact(@110psi) and does all the other things I need. Going with one of those will be $1000 at least, so its not a budget thing and it requires 220v.

harbor freight is very cheap stuff. I have broken everything but the small press I got from them. Of course the press is a small one with a bottle jack on it, so there isnt much to break. Its easier to work with than the large 10 ton press in the other corner of the shop. I guess what I am trying to say is buy something better because that pos will break in short order. And it wont hang with a sander, it will burn up long before you get the car sanded.

Not too much good to say about HF.. they are a LONG way from professional quality. Some of it is even scary for a backyard shadetree type to use.

Just looked on summit racing and found this one for $10 more, it puts out more air, and I would trust it longer than the HF sourced one. They are both very small, and a sander will work them pretty freakin hard..

Clarke compssr at Summitracing
wow thanks thats a better deal....cheaper to ship too. i dont think i will be doing a ton of sanding anyways....i could always just stick to my electric sander and/or the old fashion way i suppose.

it would sure be nice to have the ability to get bolts of without busting ot the lengths of pipe or not having to use rattle can garbage paint.....

so this will work for the spraying, impact wrench and a little grinding/sanding? just want to confirm before i buy something....
Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Here is a big Sears compressor that you might think about. It is pick up only, but it is in California. Not sure how far San Fran is from this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-Craftsman-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Here is a big Sears compressor that you might think about. It is pick up only, but it is in California. Not sure how far San Fran is from this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-Craftsman-...QQcmdZViewItem

i think its kind of down in the outskirts of LA....pretty dang far, lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Lancaster is about two hours north of LA. I'd consider it if I had a 240 outlet!

Quick Reply: Air Compressor Opinions