Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 tailshaft housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

Default C4 tailshaft housing

I was wondering how difficult it is to replace the tailhousing gaskets that connects the tailhousing to the main body of the tranny? Will the tailhousing slip off with out me having to go inside and remove the valve body and mess around inside the tranny?
Matt
Old 11-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: C4 tailshaft housing

Yes, make sure to disconnect the speedo cable. This would be an excellent time to replace the output shaft bushing, and rear seal as well. And while you are down there, check your band adjustment.
If you replace the bushing. Make sure to test fit the yoke before reinstalling. Sometimes the bushing needs a bit of honing.

Good luck,
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: C4 tailshaft housing

Hey scott thanks for the reply.
Its good to hear that she will just be able to slide off but i need to do some further investigation first. I think it might be the breather cap on top of the tranny, that spits out fluid when i get on it. When i would get onto the highway it would shift and then a little bit of smoke would come up from underneath the shifter, the smoke was tranny fluid hitting the exhaust. Not to mention the tranny seems to be over filled, when i checked the level it seemed a little high. The other reason i think it could be the breather cap is because the whole crossmember and tranny mount had fluid on them, it it was just the front i would say it was the tailshaft gaskets but its all over it. the tranny is brand new less then a 100 miles on it and it was leaking from the start, it has a manual/automatic valve body, and all new clutches ect... It shifts fine and doesnt seem to leak at all when idleing in my drive way. has any one ever heard of breather caps spitting out fluid.
thanks
Matt