Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sand Blaster Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Sand Blaster Help

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

i saw this and some others ones from other places and just got a new compressor and am wondering how do they do on taking off undercoat in the wheel well and what not....??? my trunk has this thick sludge mixed with rust and dirt.....its not coming off with paint stripper or anything....i would love to blast it then shop vac it all up, prime, paint it...or at least POR15 the thing....

can you use other kind of media in there besides sand? like baking soda or whatever since it dosent damage sheet metal?? i dont think id use it on sheet metal but still....just to know for my personal knowledge....
Old 12-03-2006, 01:49 AM
restomod67
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Sand Blaster Help

Never tried the bucket non-pressurized type.
I have a pressurized 40 gal sandblaster that I bought at harbor freight. I'm not happy with it, but my compressor can only put out 5.8 cfm at 90. If you have a compressor that can do over 10 cfm at 90 it might be worth a try.
I used all-pupose sand from home depot but that ended up having granules that would get lodged in the nozzle. Other media is just darn expensive to just have it fertilize my lawn after one go.
When the sandblaster *surges*, it kicks butt. Rips paint right off. Too bad it only surges when you are only almost out of media. It seams that the sandblaster I have pushes too much media thru the hose and not enough air with the sand. If it mixed more air with the media (which is what happens when it surges), it would be worth the purchase. I might have to see if I can just modify it.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: restomod67

Never tried the bucket non-pressurized type.
I have a pressurized 40 gal sandblaster that I bought at harbor freight. I'm not happy with it, but my compressor can only put out 5.8 cfm at 90. If you have a compressor that can do over 10 cfm at 90 it might be worth a try.
I used all-pupose sand from home depot but that ended up having granules that would get lodged in the nozzle. Other media is just darn expensive to just have it fertilize my lawn after one go.
When the sandblaster *surges*, it kicks butt. Rips paint right off. Too bad it only surges when you are only almost out of media. It seams that the sandblaster I have pushes too much media thru the hose and not enough air with the sand. If it mixed more air with the media (which is what happens when it surges), it would be worth the purchase. I might have to see if I can just modify it.

yeah that all makes sense. maybe u can somehow put a smaller hose on there from the sand bucket?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:54 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Those type of sandblaster are marginal as far as performance unless you can keep the sand to it. I used something similar except there was no bucket, it was an enclosed container. In order for it work properly the nozzle must always be picking up sand. When the pickup it sucking sand, sometimes it loses it's prime(sand) and then you must shake the bucket. If I were you I would build a 5 gal bucket with a funnel at the bottom. Put the pickup hose through the bottom. Then you will never loose prime. Make darn sure you keep the sand away from moisture. If the sand it damp it will not work properly. As far as blasting off undercoating and paint, it should be a breeze. Crank your compressor up to 120 psi and blast away. Your compressor will run a lot. Don't overwork you compressor as that is what will kill it. Many starts and stops continuously is not good for them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21693/EDA59920606A420ABC0C043D5181240D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Well this is what i did when i sandblasted my engine comparentment
I had the prussered type....but when you buy the sand.....go to home depot and dont buy the All purpose sand like restomod67 did... You buy the PlaySand and on it, it says DO NOT USE FOR SANDBLASTING....that stuff works great....they just dont want to be liable if you get cancer or if you do something stupid like point it at you skin or something.... if the surface you are going to sandblast needs to be smooth if paint is allpiled then you do need to use a higher grit sand....which can be picked up at a local masonary suppiles or a construction supply house like Weston Building Supply....just tell them which grit you want.

i did my engine compartment.....i just needed to add more coats of primer....

Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

so basically i wanna go for this style of one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9588
Old 12-03-2006, 05:40 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

the harborfreight one looks like a better idea see what all types of media it will use
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

the product sheet says glass bead, silicon carbide, aluminum oxide, walnut shell and brass bead...what do you think?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:35 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Yes, that is a very good one. You could run anything through those. I used silica sand and copper slag. Make damn sure you use a resporator. You'll definately need face protection. If you can, buy one of those hoods with the window shield. You'll find that damn glass in your butt crack by the time you are finished. This may sound silly, even if you are sandblasting in your trunk, make sure your air cleaner is on the carb and your windows are up.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

Yes, that is a very good one. You could run anything through those. I used silica sand and copper slag. Make damn sure you use a resporator. You'll definately need face protection. If you can, buy one of those hoods with the window shield. You'll find that damn glass in your butt crack by the time you are finished. This may sound silly, even if you are sandblasting in your trunk, make sure your air cleaner is on the carb and your windows are up.

haha that wouldn't be a good place for abrasives to be. i could probably use walnut shells on sheet metal....yes? no? im debating on if i would want to sand down my quarters or get this blaster and use that.....the things are shot to hell i think anyways....probably should just cut them out...except then there is the pesky little problem of replacing them with new metal....damn it.

Quick Reply: Sand Blaster Help