Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

427 SOHC engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default 427 SOHC engine

What year (s) did Ford produce the 427 SOHC engine?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 427 SOHC engine

mid 60's, that was a VERY rare engine even back in those days, so good luck finding one. I think some galaxies had em, some of the smaller fairlanes. Im not sure, but I dont think mustangs ever had it, unless it was some sort of special one.
-P.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

O yeah 1 more thing, the 427sohc was called a "cammer"
-P.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, well, I think I have found one. Take a look and tell me if this is one. Here is the only information I could dig up. 427 SOHC

Available as an over the counter option only.

Cast aluminum cyclinder heads

hemi-spherical combusiton chambers

stainless steel valves

Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I dont think thats a cammer, it appears to be a 427, but just a regular pushrod style, I'd say pop a valve cover just to be sure. DOnt worry though , thats the tunnel ram style, they supposedly make ungodly HP #'s, they dont run so great on the street though. That motors made to be revved and stay revved, so pretty much anything below 3K itll feel "sluggish". The 427's were mainly used for trans-am and road race.
-P.
PS: Found another car that had one AFX comet, Im not positive about this one but I think the cyclone spoiler had it also.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

A guy I used to live next door to had an old racing boat that the hull was constructed entirely of wood. Anyway, it had an SOHC 427 "Side Oiler" which would shake the house on the rare occasions he would fire it up just to keep things moving ... of course, it had straight pipes which had something to do with it.

According to Wikipedia, that engine cam in at the end of 1964 for the 427 Cobra.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Commodore

Mid '60's is correct. It was designed to beat the Hemi's on the NASCAR tracks. It was shortly banned by NASCAR as the Hemi guys screamed foul (it fulfilled its design mission rather well). It was a three valve, gear driven overhead cam engine (two intake and one exhaust) with sodium filled exhaust valves based on the Ford FE 427 side oilier engine. Very few had two fours as pictured due to NASCAR's rules. Holman and Moody had most of them (you could buy one in a crate in the 60's from H&M for about $10,000.00). I think Tasca Ford in RI had one or two also (could be wrong). All were shipped in a crate and not in a car. Dyno Don Nicholson raced one in an altered wheel base '65 Mustang (early AFX days). It was scary fast and made a sound not soon forgotten. If you have a ton of money the after market will let you re create one. My old school room mate (Carter Getty, if you know Shelby Cobra's) stuffed one in his AC Cobra. He took it out of his '63 light weight factory Galaxie drag car. It had a fairly wide torque curve. Only a few Cobras ever had this engine stuffed into them (Shelby never did one) as the heads filled every inch of the engine compartment. Every gear was first gear! Ah, the good old days.
RB
Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Commodore: your information is pretty much correct, except the part about it being a 3 valve. It is just a standard 2 valve per cylinder.

P Zero: Im not an expert on SOHCs, but please do us all a favor and dont chime in on a subject you clearly dont know anything about. The only correct information you posted is that the SOHC is called a cammer.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:37 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

This is some of the best stuff i've found on SOHC FE's...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...questions.html
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

actually i think that is a 427sohc because if you look at the valve covers and were the spark plugs are placed. that is no normal ford block

Quick Reply: 427 SOHC engine