Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I Dono About The Rest Of You...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I Dono About The Rest Of You...

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Got a workbench that is about 25' long, currently full of stuff. Really need to do some housekeeping. it keeps the father in laws monkeys from borrowing my stuff.

Also have a roll around cart, its usually loaded with whatever tools I need for a particular job. Also has rags, brake clean, PB Blaster, and other items like that. And it stores the tape measure, otherwise i cant find the stupid thing.

Most innovative item I have been using is two 55 gallon drums. They are perfect for holding the sandblaster so I can adjust the feed valve, and I can work on doors, hoods, fenders, etc on them. They have worked incredibly nice for sanding the Mustang doors and taking the windows and regulators out of them.

When I rebuild a rear end I use two 6 ton jackstands under each axle tube. it makes it easier to turn it when needed, and bearing/race changes are very easy that way. It also works nice for detailing a rear end, since you can paint the entire circumference.

I have an old wire milk crate to stand on because I am vertically challenged at 5'8", that way I can sand the roof, or work on a truck without getting into it. its also handy for collecting the dirty rags so I can take them to the laundromat..lol. those things arent goin in my washer again.

the tool box has officially been outgrown. I think the 1/2" drive stuff needs to find a new home. The 3/8" and wrenches/vise grips/etc are taking up far too much space.

Inherited an old paint mixing stand from KI Sawyer AFB when it closed, I use it to build carbs, transmissions, and do other things where I need to have a clean solid metal surface. Took me three days to get the dried paint off it. that sucker works great too.

I bet most of you dont have. 1800sq ft of floor space to work with either. my shop is bigger than the first house I bought.
Shut up! I'm jealous of your workspace. My bro and I built a 40 X 60 barn at the farm and poured a concrete floor for it. Damn, that was work. But, that barn is at the farm, and I only have a two car garage with a work room here at my hoochie.
i know im quite a bit younger than you but when has hoochie ever meant house?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Glen dont feel bad. I ran the woodstove for 6 hours today. Got it all they way up to 30F in there... life is a trade off sometimes.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Glen dont feel bad. I ran the woodstove for 6 hours today. Got it all they way up to 30F in there... life is a trade off sometimes.

hey, i dont have a lot of space AND its like colder in the garage than outside....i swear it get to where you can see your breath in there every night then during the day acts like a cooler and keeps it cold inside....im sure you know how good it feels to smash your fingers when its 32* INSIDE....im thinking of devising a way of putting up moving pads on the garage doors and against the back door to be sorta like insulation and stop the drafts....and getting one of those cheapy space heater lamp things and leave it on for a hour or so and hope it can help.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:04 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i have a 2 car garage that i can only fit a car in lol i have 3 work benchs wood frame with sheet steal over but plywood works too between all my tools and car parts my garage is full
Old 12-09-2006, 07:17 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ORIGINAL: MidNite27

Dont feel bad about your late night spontenity. Last night at 1AM i decided to go for an hour long cruise through Wine Country (beautiful xmas lit wineries and vineyards) just cuz i had some thinking to do. Those are the best moments.

i live like 15 or 20 minutes from Napa.
My mom lives in San Jose, there are some beautiful roads up there. I'm jelouse, down here in so cal there isnt much locally. Traffic everywhere.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 AM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

Good looking bench - I think I'll build one for myself. That up and down gets old fast. Now my bench is the garage floor and a small rolling cart.