Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

poverty wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default poverty wheels

so my 1965 coupe has some torque thrust Ds. I will keep them (i love how they look) but am getting some new tires for xmas. the old tires are slightly shredded in the rear (old leaf springs before i got air suspension) so they are salvageable. I love the look of older camaros and other sedans with the "poverty wheels" (mostly gm cars). I dont know if there is another name for them, but they are the wheels that are color matched to the car with the chrome center cap. http://www.texas442.com/wheels/tn_wl-cap.jpg
I wonder if anyone has a pic of ones like i just sent (my coupe is white with a black vinyl top) on a mustang so i can see what they would look like, i cant imagine it in my head but i have a feeling it wont look so good, but i wanna know if i can get some for the wheels im taking off. (incase i wanna save the new raised white letter tires and do some rubber burnin ) thanks guys. (where can i buy some rims/hubcaps like these? anyone know?)
Old 12-12-2006, 12:50 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: poverty wheels

The Torino had hub caps that were about the same size. I believe some mustangs did too. The hub caps covered about 2/3 of the wheel and the rest was exposed just like the pic. You could also get GT wheels with beauty rings and center caps.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Yeah, ford had a wheel similar to that. I've always just called them dogdish hubcaps.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur.../photo_01.html
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

thanks guys, hmmm not bad, maybe ill have some one photo shop some ont my stang....if i can find a set cheap enough ill just buy em and paint em and not worry if they look like crap. anyone know where i can get some? PS valley firearms i cant seem to find the beauty ring things youre talkin abuot, go ta pic?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

the rim trims or beauty rings could come on a std wheel or a gt wheel...heres a couple of pics to give you an idea

[IMG]local://upfiles/48146/23BF5DF45E4F49338D50C1238C8D23F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48146/897565FC83D94A8C8B4BD95860536AFD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

These are like the ones on the Aussie Falcon Sedan GT in the pictures above.

GT wheels

more GT wheels
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Those GT wheels are going to cost ya. If you are looking for cheap ones, just go to the junkyard and you can find those dogdish type on any old ford. They are just a standard steel rim.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 PM
NoOriginalNamesLeft
2nd Gear Member

I wonder how well the brakes cool with that small amount of air getting in from the outside?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

IMO the GT wheels dont look so good on a 65/66

the 12 slots on the red car and valley's ebay link are very common here as they were a dealer option and aftermarket wheel. The GT caps are somewhat rarer!! But there is a plain cap that is common.

the rare wheels here are the 5 slot wheels on the yellow car. THey were factory and very hard to get originals. SOmeone has the castings now and is producing them again, but still expensive.

you can get a standard rim widened to 7" and put the dog dishes on it...that would look pretty cool on Emperor's car with a white rim and chrome cap.

Quick Reply: poverty wheels