Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I need help on pricing please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Lukony

Default I need help on pricing please!

About 6 years ago my father bought a 66 coupe 289 Mustang that he had planned on restoring with me so that I would have a car. Sadly, he passed away and I never had a chance to restore the car (considering I know nothing about restoring cars). Now I am getting ready to go off to college and I need to sell the Mustang. The only thing is that I don't know how to price the car. Right now it needs completely new interior and a new paint job (it still has the orignal orange red color). The engine ran about 3 years ago, but hasn't been started since then so I have no idea if it runs. I would say that almost everything about the car is orignal other than a few engine components and the right front fendor. This include the car interior being orignal. My father use to drive it for a while and it ran fine other than over heating slighty after driving about 100 miles in rush hour traffic. If any of you could help me get an idea of what I should be asking it would be a big help. For one I could use the money to help pay for college and hopefully I can find someone that will take good care of the car.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I need help on pricing please!

Hello, and welcome to our world. If you have a digital camera, some pictures of the car would help us help you. You will need some exterior, underneath, engine compartment and interior pics. There is no blue book on these cars, so the condition is a determining factor when it comes to pricing.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Lukony

I took these with my cell phone camera I hope they are ok. The fender and the grill are still in my pocession. They were taken off to work on the engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...y/SSPX0006.jpg

I couldn't get under the car and it was too dark to take pictures of. The last time I was under there it was pretty clean and I didn't see any rust.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

For what you'll get for it the way it is, keep it and do somthing with it after your done school. You'll regret it in the future because it was your dads..
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It looks like it might be a fairly straight body, but pics of the undercarriage will make a lot of difference between a rust bucket/previously wrecked car. The interior is trashed.reltively inexpensive fix. We old Mustang guys are really concerned about the rust condition of the bodies when it comes to pricing. Contact the local Mustang club in your town, and have a member come to look at it and give you an evaluation. Or, hire a professsional to look at it to give you a more realistic figure.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Lukony

Well, my big thing is that there are a lot of people that have stopped by saying they want to buy it and I never know what to ask. Bother of the doors open just fine, does that have anything to do with it being straight? I really just need to know kind of where I should be starting. I wish I could keep the car, but my family is moving to a smaller house and I am moving up north.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Lukony

I forgot to mention that there is very little rust. I remember look over the car with my dad when I was younger. There are a few spots and under the car was ok except that thing was damn filthy when we bought it. The car hasn't gone without a car cover since we bought it. I really just need to know where about to start when talking deals with someone.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

There is a plate on the door that has a VIN number. Let's see where we stand there. It could be something rare, however, it appears to be a common C code. It could be a 6 banger, which to most folks, is a nono.

Under carriage pics and the VIN number might help us.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Lukony

I remember my dad talking about the vin number before. Looking in his books it says it has an engine code C 8 cylinder 289.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

C codes are the most common version, realy. We're down to frame rails and cowl/floor pans. Assuming all are good, you're looking at a rolling chassis that just needs minor cosmetic ( that fendor is minor baring the other stuff is rust free ) work and drive train attention.

If that's the case, I have seen those pull between 2-4k. Infact, I just picked up a 67' C code coupe with simular needs ( this one needed a front and rear deck lid but the pans, cowl and rails were straight ) for 2k. I sold it to a friend recently for what I paid for it because he wanted to build it with his son. I got it at a decent price and was either going to build it or sell it for a profit as is.

If the floors, rails and cowl are toast, you'd be lucky to get rid of it for 2k. If the 289 is in fact a 289 and original, the block is becoming more rare everyday ( orig 289 blocks ). There's alot of stuff on there that folks look for. If nothing else, I'd just store it. ( I know you say that's not an option, however, you would get more out of it in say, 6 years when you're out of college than you would just dumping it off. )

Quick Reply: I need help on pricing please!