Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pulling Radiator *Updates*

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default Pulling Radiator *Updates*

Can someone please tell me how to pull the radiator? I won't be on anymore today I don't think but tomorrow I have to know so that I can pull the radiator so that I can pull the fan so that I can pull a pulley so that I can pull the A/C bracket so that I can pull the A/C Compressor . The one I have is really complicated because it's a dealer install.

So how do I pull the radiator?
How hard is it?
Any tips?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling Radiator

Get a manual...tomorrow.

Seriously though, it is a bit involved and you should prob have a manual to keep you moving in the right direction. The actual FORD service manual will be excellent for this.
Good luck.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: coda618

Get a manual...tomorrow.

Seriously though, it is a bit involved and you should prob have a manual to keep you moving in the right direction. The actual FORD service manual will be excellent for this.
Good luck.
I've got the Ford Service Manual and a Chiltens but I figured I'd ask on here first because a lot of times I'll ask a question and then a few other questions which I hadn't thought of yet will be answered in the same thread.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Unbolt the 4 bolts holding it in! oh and of course drain it and disconnect everything from it. easy as pie
Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Pulling the radiator itself wont be difficult. Drain the fluid (plug on bottom), disconnect the hoses, and remove the 4 bolts in each corner. If you have a fan shroud, push that over the fan to make clearence when pulling the radiator out.

Once you get that out you can take off the shroud, and undo the misc. fan and pully bolts.

good luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

[:@]I'm really good at making an easy job hard. I removed the 4 bolts on the bracket and drained the fluid but there are two pipes connected to it at the bottom and I'm really hoping there is another way to disconnect them than holding one of the nuts w/ a pair of pliers while I turn the other one...is there?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I don't take my radiator out to play with the fans and pulleys. You should be able to get the shroud out of your way to get to the fan bolts. Just be careful you don't hit the radiator.

Those 2 steel lines on the bottom are your transmission cooling lines. Don't hurt 'em. Yes, you need to hold the nut on the radiator while turning the nut on the line itself.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

I don't take my radiator out to play with the fans and pulleys. You should be able to get the shroud out of your way to get to the fan bolts. Just be careful you don't hit the radiator.

Those 2 steel lines on the bottom are your transmission cooling lines. Don't hurt 'em. Yes, you need to hold the nut on the radiator while turning the nut on the line itself.
I already hurt one of them. I'm really pissed off right now. What does it mean now that I've torn a hole in it because I'm an idiot? The bolts on my fan are too long and I can't get them out w/o removing the radiator.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You'll need to cut the line with a tool and patch in a replacement piece. Or, you can buy a new line froma Mustang vendor.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Transmission cooling lines are out. The first one needs replaced like I said and the second came out in less than a minute. Now I can't get the bottom hose off [:@]. Any tips for that. There isn't a whole lot of clearence to just pull it with my hands...

Quick Reply: Pulling Radiator *Updates*