Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Alternator Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Default Alternator Bracket

Does anyone have any good pics they can send me of the alternator area? Where does that arm go that you adjust the alternator out on? I was in such a rush to get everythingoff when I was replacing the timing chain that I neglected to make note of how / where everything mounts and now I don't recall how it goes. Does the battery negative cable that bolts to the block go behind the alternator bracket? My Haynes manual isn't very detailed.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:06 PM
DrBob67
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Alternator Bracket

What year do you have? This is the only picture I have accesible right now that shows part of the alternator on my 67. the red arrow shows where the battery ground wire connects to the block it comes around the side of the alt. The red x shows the bracket that bolts the alt to the block. The other bracket that you ask about attaches to one of the bolts throught the water pump and arcs under the alt pulley and attaches to the bottom of the alt. You can't see it in this photo. If your is a 67 or similar I can send you other stuff info I have a factory manual or even take anothe photo. If you don't have a 67 I can get info from a restoration guide. Or I'm sure someone else will have other photos just let us know what year to give you the best info

[IMG]local://upfiles/34456/086F424195E4438FBDE3524AE140B5C1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2006, 09:25 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Check this out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57088/05E6E3DF5CF544FE928EE459A1FFA9EF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

If you have a '68' 302 or compatable let me know and I'll take pic's of mine.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Mine's a '68 302, sorry guys, Iknow it's kinda hard to get a photo in that area.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

It could also matter what accesories you have. Ihave a '68, 289, with AC and power steering that I could take a picture of this weekend (after I put the belts and such back on and hopefully there is some sunlight).
Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 AM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Iwill take pictures of mine whenI get home. (4:30 ET) If you want, I will take the alternator off so you can see the 'tension' bracket underneath. I have PS but no AC.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Actually, maybe you could just tell me if the tensioner arm mounts to the water pump with its own bolt or if it mounts to the alternator bracket?

Also, the long bolt that goes through the alternator bracket and the water pump out the back of the timing chain cover is mostly stripped. By mostly I mean it starts getting tight and then lets loose and then starts getting tight again. I tightened it as much as I could and left it. Could I just leave it this way or would that make me prone to leaks from the water pump??
Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

The tension bracket mounts to to the engine block with it's own bolt Pretty much like Fastbackford351's photo exceptif youhave a 68 302 it doesn't bolt to (through) the water pump. Also my mounting bolt on my 302 doesn't connect to the water pump either. I would buy a new bolt for $5.00 from Mustangsunlimited. part # 386. This is probably a stupid question but you're not looking at the power steering pump by any chance? The power steering pump has one bracket that both mounting bolts (for the bracket) go through the water pump.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

sxs,

LOL...I hope I know the difference between the power steering pump and the alternator Thanks though, I did find the spot to mount the "tensioner arm", but the bolt that goes through the bracket and water pump etc in Fastbackford351's photo is the one on the right above the belts right below the two hoses coming from the heater core and thermostat housing. In Fastback's photo you can see the bolt protruding ever so slightly just to the right of the left hose towards the top of the photo after the blue timing chain cover. It's the hole in the timing chain cover that seems to be stripped out, not the bolt so I'm thinking I either have the hole tapped for a slightly larger bolt or try and find one a little longer so maybe I could put a nut on the other side where it sticks out of the timing chain cover (near the thermostat housing). So my stupid question is....(and yes I should probably get my hand slapped for even asking) is it so bad to just leave it only half tightened??

Quick Reply: Alternator Bracket