Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help, engine sputtering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help, engine sputtering...

I'm with the plugged jets deal,,used some low grade crap fuel line ( it had hardend and was breaking up in tiny pieces) and the filter was pluged to say the least and when I went to rebilled the carb really little pices of $%^&&*( was in the bowl of the carb and every where else....flushed the carb,,got real fuel lines,,rebuilt carb while there and presto fixed,,,,,,filters can only catch so much if the size is right and the place is right here comes trouble
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Fuel
Ignition
Timing

Verify fuel getting to carb, into manifold,
Verify that you have spark at the spark plugs
Check your timing, (might have slipped a link, (a timing light will show this)

By verifying these three items FIRST, you will know which way to go with troubleshooting.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

You asked about running the smaller cap as opposed the later (post 1976) electronic distributor cap.

I have always run the points style cap with my Duraspark II setup and have never had an issue with my ignition. It fits a lot better than the later style.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Carb could be icing up as well. Make sure the carb is staying warm enough. There's a limit to how much cold air you want on your carb, especially in a moist climate.

Check the fuel supply situation first.
I used to get that in my '86 CJ-7 Jeep - if the atmospheric conditions were right it would just start sputtering and putting out black smoke. I could pull off to the shoulder, pop the air cleaner and SEE the carb ice at the inlet messing with the choke plate. It would melt off after a while then off I'd go until it happened again. What a pain in the a**.

Probably your filters clogged...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

So I checked spark, and its really inconsistant. I read about the resitor wire from the ignition so I tested the voltage at the coil pos side. It read 12v. Just to check if a different wire would make a difference I ran a jumper from the bat to test it out. Still inconsistant spark. (all this was tested on the no1 cylinder.) Sometimes it sparks, sometimes not. Is there a way to test the Pertronix kit? Its a pertronix II. How would I test the coil? I got a new msd blaster 2 but just to be sure its not a dud I'd like to check it.

I'm pretty sure this is ignition related now... with the spark test. There is fuelgetting to thecarb, I can smell it and see it through the clear fuel filter. I can't get it to run to test the fuel pump pressure accurately. I was gonna replace the fuel pump on the last post but then I figured if it ain't broke, or I don't know... don't fix it.

Thanks for the help so far. I've been looking at a lot of the posts on pertronix kits to figure this out without posting again... but I'm not getting far. Gonna check the gap next.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The cure for the distributor access is to get a curved MC bar. Man, you have spark plug wires running everywhere, even over the top of the MC bar. Organize those plug wires to eliminate any sparking issues you may have. Your pertronix will either be working or it won't. It's not like points where the gap is sensitive. Use the little plastic gapper and it will be fine. You just need to get those wires organized.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

hey caddy man,

Once you get those wires organized as advised, start the engine at night open the hood andwatch for any leaks to ground from thewires.You could be loosing someof the spark energythroughcrackedwires. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Sory about that pic, its old. That was when I redid the heads. The wires were not even hooked up. Now its got new wires, cap, rotor. Things are not nearly that messy. I checked the wires at the coil and I noticed that the wires to the pertronix unit were half broken and corroded at their connectors. I cut them off about 1/4" back and sriped the wires and put on new connectors. Thought that might do it... no change I tried a jumper again from the bat to test the ignition wire... still no change.

I noticed when I took of the magnet ring from the center of the dist that it rattles... something inside it rattles. The pertronix was on the car when I got it so I don't know if that is normal or not...

If not can I get just the magnet ring? I would rather not pay $110 for another kit when it might just be the ring.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks so far guys!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

My guess if it was the magnet you would get it whether the car was cold or hot and you said it was only happerningwhen warm, you could always contact pertronix about getting a new magnet. Good luck
Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

now its doing it cold. I've been testing the sparkon no1 cylinder. As it turns over sometimes it sparks, sometimes not...

Quick Reply: Help, engine sputtering...