Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 mustang color-need help-going off to body shop very soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
enzedchris
2nd Gear Member

Default 66 mustang color-need help-going off to body shop very soon

This is my extremely solid and rust free, despite dust rust on body that comes off with light sanding, it wus sitting for 18 years so...

that's how good it is underneath, anyway, I jst can't figure out what color I want it. I was thinking Dark Moss, which was a 66 color. My car is a special order one-of-a-kind paint, and I can't figure out what the actual color was. My car obviously has no color code on the vin plate-

it's a very metallic color which has no doubt shifted lots over the years and I doubt that a painter could scan the color and figure it out. If he could, do you guys think that I should keep that color, it would be worth more, just picture it but faded less I guess. I will not do red, mainly because the quote is already 1800, it's gonna be show quality, gapped, sandblasted, etc. What you guys reckon?
here are some parts i have
strange 9 inch, case and gears being put together, will be a granada case

I just bought a 64 lotus cortina mk1 gt, and I was thinking of using that color scheme- this is not my one but one with the same colors, like that cream white with olive green stripes would be cool.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 66 mustang color-need help-going off to body shop very soon

If you mean that you would put the green racing stripes down it on the white that would look decent at best. Doing the same paint scheme like the one on the lotus would just look stupid imo.I think you should try and match the original paint but if you're sure you can't then emberglo for the win imo. If you consider that red and don't want it then get raven black.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 PM
enzedchris
2nd Gear Member

idk, emberglo looks odd to me-i will try and match original, lol i meant green racing stripes, not the same scheme
Old 12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

i would try to match the present color.....but you gotta do what you gotta do and not worry about what any body else thinks.............
Old 12-27-2006, 06:15 PM
enzedchris
2nd Gear Member

the thing is i am open to so many things, and i can't make up my mind on what would be the best option. if i can match the original color and do it for a reasonable price then I will,
i am looking for more of a racy color. i like the color on this stang, withh the stripes.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Easy choice - Raven black
Old 12-27-2006, 08:50 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Candy Apple Red!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get the underside of the trunk scanned with the eye at the paint store it will give a blendable match if the color is a special order its probably something off of a similar vintage tbird

stripes dont go well on coupe imo but to each his own
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
enzedchris
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know they can do that, everything is out of the car and we thought it would be a good idea to get the overspray, but it seems way too faded-like not faded just a really light overspray, we'll see. that's what we thought as far as a vintage color goes, but i was talking with a really knowledgable guy who runs the hcs registry, and he said as far as he saw pictures of my car, he can't think of any cars, he said the closest match he could think of was off a 40's ford truck, but even that was somewhat off. he says its always possible it was a one-off color that the customer wanted.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

true it could be one off id get them to shoot it with the eye mix up a pint of paint and see if u like what it comes up with then it will be as original as it can be unless u find out otherwise

Quick Reply: 66 mustang color-need help-going off to body shop very soon