Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 'K' Code Hipo Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 289 'K' Code Hipo Engine

oh i dunno if i had something like a boss 429 i would be too damn scared to blow it up and loose something so beautiful..... i think it would be sitting under a piece of glass in place of my coffee table
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

i'd make it a 331 and run the snot out of it.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya im with glen on this one...run em till ya brake em. that what the muscle car era was about, pure raw power....and using it constantly.

but those 289 are a good little engine. ya its nothing compared to 429's but they are a screamer of an engine and a true hipo is like everyone has said very desirable. if u do rebuild it try and keep the car just a stock gt. but you could sell the engine for a pretty penny and throw a larger one in

no replacement for displacement
Old 12-29-2006, 02:38 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Why in the world would someone rebuild a hipo motor for a non-hipo car instead of selling the hipo motor to a collector and dropping in a crate motor with the proceeds?[sm=wtf.gif] Granted, the hipo was a heck of a motor in its day, but just about every peformance crate engine today will outrun the hipo. To me, the value of the hipo motor by itself is the value that others place on it for their collector vehicle. For a runner, I'll take the current technology aluminum heads, roller cams, improved intakes, carbs, etc.

What am I missing? And stroking a true hipo motor instead of selling it ... [sm=bangbang.gif]
Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

Why in the world would someone rebuild a hipo motor for a non-hipo car instead of selling the hipo motor to a collector and dropping in a crate motor with the proceeds?[sm=wtf.gif] Granted, the hipo was a heck of a motor in its day, but just about every peformance crate engine today will outrun the hipo. To me, the value of the hipo motor by itself is the value that others place on it for their collector vehicle. For a runner, I'll take the current technology aluminum heads, roller cams, improved intakes, carbs, etc.

What am I missing? And stroking a true hipo motor instead of selling it ... [sm=bangbang.gif]
the same idea of why old mustangs and muscle cars are a hot buy right now. ya a lot of cars will kick our asses all over the place but the hipo's were the first high performace engine for the mustangs. ppl love the engine it self and well gladly take em off your hands but of course its always better to have it still in the car itself. i think it would b dumb too to just sell the engine but thats me
Old 12-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, so what you are thinking is that a high performance engine was only placed in Shelby modified bodies. Is that what you are thinking? If so, you are mistaken. The hipo engine came out in April of 64, long before Shelby took the first 100 2+2's with hipo engines and did the body mods to challenge Chevy Corvette. Bottom line is that the hipo engine came before the hipo body, so a mustang with a hipo engine and a regular non-Shelby body existed/exists.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

Actually, the HiPo predated the Mustang, it came out as an option on the 1963 Fairlanes, then the Comet Cyclone. That is the reason for the C3 series part numbers. Shelby used the HiPo as the starting point for the Cobra starting in mid 63 and all the early GT350s. It is easily modified into a screamer and is pretty tough as are most Ford performance engines. If your car has the K in the engine code, I would definately keep it. The original Ford number on my 66 GT350 started 6R09K for 66, San Jose assembly plant, fastback, HiPo 289. Yous should be 5***K with the plant code and body between the year and engine codes.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

OK, so what you are thinking is that a high performance engine was only placed in Shelby modified bodies. Is that what you are thinking? If so, you are mistaken. The hipo engine came out in April of 64, long before Shelby took the first 100 2+2's with hipo engines and did the body mods to challenge Chevy Corvette. Bottom line is that the hipo engine came before the hipo body, so a mustang with a hipo engine and a regular non-Shelby body existed/exists.
I don't think he is insinuating that the HiPo was only available in Shelby's. I think the point he is trying to make is that if the body isn't a K code body,he couldsell the HiPo (for good money) to someone with a K code body that needs an original HiPo to make his car original. He could then use the proceeds to buy a more powerful crate motor for his car. With regard to HiPo bodies, any K code car, regardless of body style, Shelby or not, IS a HiPo body.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

and now for something completely different..... =)

when i worked at this one machine shop, the boss decided to build a ford to compete with all the SBC's running at the local roundy round track. he scored a boss 302, has us work the heads to actually put smaller valves in so it would be legal to run at the track - then turned down the counterweights on a 351C crank and made it fit the 302 block (bet none of you knew that was even possible eh?) 8 sleeves and hours of machine work later we had a motor that was eating every chevy on the track....... until someone pulled the pin and it exploded like a grenade.

i wanted to cry that day - a total watse of such a rare motor