Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

May have a lead on a Boss 429.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default May have a lead on a Boss 429.

The guy I am helping build a 37' Buick told me today that his folks "up north" have had a 69'Boss 429 in the retired body shop building for about 10'ish years now. He's calling them over the weekend to see what the deal is on it. From what he says, they'll probably release it to him. If that's the case, I may be able to offer a resonable price for it and pick it up.

Just a short note on my friend. His family has been in the auto business in one form or another since he can remember. Notably, his brother is a custom body shop with state wide ties. His folks had a body shop that's now retired into a warehouse that houses some of the custom rides his brother has finished as well as most of the insurance wrecks he does as well.

The guy I am helping is kind of a knock off of his younger brother that does custom work. He's an incredible fabricator and does amazing paint work as well. I'm very anxious to hear from his folks. I'm not getting my hopes up or holding my breath, but from the pictures I seen, if it does come through, I will have a 66' Coupe nearly finished for sale very soon.

Here's to hoping.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: May have a lead on a Boss 429.

one word: jealousy[:@]
Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

another word "bastard"[sm=boohoo.gif]
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Here's some of the work he's done. I'll get some more pics soon. We're ( me mostly ) about 1/2 way through installing the Painless harness. I was a little side tracked today, I rebuilt the steering gear box ( just re-sealed it ) and adjusted/blead the brakes so he could get an accurate height on the brake pedal for final cut and adjustment. ( it's sitting too high and he'll fab it to fit his ride height. )

Just a note : He got this w/ the Summit crate motor, 74' Nova sub frame, Ford 9" rear, Painless harness and all the body panels for under 7k. Apparently the PO started it and ran out of money. However, the motor has sat in the crate since 1992. I installed the harness, filled the fluids, fed it fresh fuel and it busted over the first try. ( he did fog it and spun it by hand when he got it last year ).

Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

He busted the engine on the first try? What broke? You'll be one lucky sob if you get that boss.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I hope it's the real deal. I hear a lot of poeple say they have Bosses and Cobra Jets when they are just engines they sooped up a little. My daughter had a friend come over last year with a Ford PU and he said it had a 429 Cobra Jet in it. I said yeah right! it was only a 400 with headers. It's amazing what people believe. If it is a real Boss 429 and his family has been in the automaotive business for eons, be prepared to pay out the nose or them not wanting to sell it. I'm glad your not getting your hopes up.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

true...i got my 66 bout 4 years ago and im lucky. they had just rebuilt the tranny, 289, and fresh paint and i was able to talk em down to 6,200. they originally wanted 8 or 9 i think. with the extra money i redid the suspension, gas tank (had poxy on the bottem), and disk brakes. i had looked for 67-70 but they were so hard to find. being 16 i was determained to find a boss 429 and learned that it will b a cold day in he!! when i find one i can afford that isnt in destroyed condition. but mine has grown on me and i wouldnt trade her for ne thing.......

cept a boss 429
Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Hope you have a lot of cash the BOSS wont be cheap.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

That's a score! See, they are still out there- we just have to get a little lucky to find them...

429 BOSS an awesome looking car - I like the white paint with black lettering or vice versa...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 19stang66

He busted the engine on the first try? What broke? You'll be one lucky sob if you get that boss.
Nothing busted - the motor started on the first try. lol

Was kinda funny because his Rottie was in the shop with us when it did start and w/ open headers, it spooked him. I thought the damn dog was going to pull the car off of the stands before we could get to him. He has a habbit of biting tires when he's scared or nervous. He's popped a few recently as well. Funny part is when strangers come to visit or say the UPS guy delivers - Cruiser ( dogs name ) acts like he's gonna rip the car apart and makes it very uncomfortable to drive in the yard. I'll get some pics of him today. Dog is incredible.

Quick Reply: May have a lead on a Boss 429.