Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

73 351C 2bbl info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Incognegro

Default 73 351C 2bbl info needed

I have a 73 Mustang with a 351C 2bbl. I am trying to builda Nice Cleveland. I havent found much for it yet. the only things that i found was a stroker Kit and i bought a 727 lift Crane comp cam with lifters. As for the heads, i hear that the 2bbl heads are the best with ported valves and a good milling. If anyone else knows better, let me know. The Blower is going to wait until i find everything else i need. anyone know where i can get good aftermarket high performance parrts for this cleveland let me know.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 73 351C 2bbl info needed

[sm=jawdrop.gif]are u sure that is gonna fit the block, thats a strict racing cam, big blocks dont even use that cam, but if ur gonna make a nasty race car, which it sounds like it, why not upgrade to the 4v heads and port them out u get better flow and with that high lift of a cam u might wanna consider that, but if u must stay with the 2v, either port them out real far which is what u wanna do or ur flow will be affected pretty good or go aussie they already come like that and with that cam that motor will make well over 650 hp
ORIGINAL: Incognegro

I have a 73 Mustang with a 351C 2bbl. I am trying to builda Nice Cleveland. I havent found much for it yet. the only things that i found was a stroker Kit and i bought a 727 lift Crane comp cam with lifters. As for the heads, i hear that the 2bbl heads are the best with ported valves and a good milling. If anyone else knows better, let me know. The Blower is going to wait until i find everything else i need. anyone know where i can get good aftermarket high performance parrts for this cleveland let me know.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Incognegro

i know i am going to have to port them out as far as i can get them to go. but i am starting completely fresh. the only old parts that are going to be used is the block and the Heads with a few mods. its just a matter of finding these parts that i want. seems like clevelands are not to popular to build
Old 01-03-2007, 03:39 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

u are correct, they arent as popular cause at the moment the windsor has a huge aftermarket, but the cleve will run circles around windsors anyday of the week, and by the way it sounds most other small blocks. But ur best bet is to go with a 4v head, and port them out, rmodel, a member on this site and i found that this will be able to give u well over 550 hp with a mildly aggressive cam, but with ur cam if it will fit probably over 600. Aussie heads are always on ebay, and summit is coming out with some more stuff for hte cleve, just be patient

i know i am going to have to port them out as far as i can get them to go. but i am starting completely fresh. the only old parts that are going to be used is the block and the Heads with a few mods. its just a matter of finding these parts that i want. seems like clevelands are not to popular to build
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Incognegro

i am also looking at these heads on this site at the very bottom. a little pricey but it seems like it might even be my best bet. http://www.chiheads.com/3v_258cc.php
Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Stock cleveland heads dont need to be any bigger. 4V heads need to actually be smaller in some spots. chiheads is a good source for high end power, the price for that kinda flow is impressive.

a .727" lift cam? Are you serious? I have a 462 with 340cfm heads that doesnt have a .700 lift solid roller, a 351 with a cam like that will make all of its power on top. 2V heads are just fine for street strip heads, and they really dont need any port work to flow better than most aftermarket windsor heads.

How about you stop for a minute and figure out how fast you want it to go, then you can work towards that goal and buy the right parts the first time. Already done the whole low compression huge cam with stock heads thing. It makes the engine a dog and never really runs like it should at any rpm. But go ahead and try it if you like..
Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

you have a major part mismatch and you are going to dog your car out.

2v heads + .7 lift cam = POS

A .7 lift cam will want to run deep into the 7k RPM band, if you want to run a cam like that you should install the 4v heads.

If this is a street car, you want a smaller cam.

Perhaps you should start simple

1. How much do you want to spend
2. What is your performance goal
3. What is the expected use of the car
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

+1,000,000,000 on the needing a smaller cam.

go with some ebay aussie heads if you can score a set... like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUSSI...QQcmdZViewItem

heres a pair of 4v heads to watch that are currently on the CHEEEEAP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...QQcmdZViewItem

and another set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-03-2007, 04:08 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ho-ly ****

7 lift + 2v head = huh? port out the heads or not you need 4v heads. and hell i hope this is stricly a race car cause your gas mileage will be 1 mile to the tank.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i dunno how you could even drive it with a cam that big.... especially if you have an automatic and any vaccum accessories.

Quick Reply: 73 351C 2bbl info needed