Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How can I make a 300 hp 302?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 AM
bryanvw61
2nd Gear Member

Default How can I make a 300 hp 302?

Hey everyone, I'm a converted Import guy building a real car, a restomod 1966 Mustang Coupe. I picked up a remanufactured 302 a few months back and pulled the heads off it to see that it had been bored to 310. As judging by the lack of junk built up at the top of the cylinder walls and the cleanliness of the valve train, this motor has hardly any miles on it. I'm 90% it is the later 302 block because it came out of an 80 Bronco, and it also had a edlebrock performer 289 intake and a edelbrock 600 cfm auto choke carb. What is the easiest way to get it to the magic 1hp per CI with the stock heads? Is it worth converting it to a roller? (what would i need besides lifters and cam?) Would a good set of headers and an edelbrock cam get me in the ballpark?

Also, I have a Ford Racing close ration T-5 rated at305 foot pounds of torque I want to put behind it... what kind of torque numbers will a warmed over 302 make and will the tranny and 8" rear end handle the power if I don't do dumb things like redline launhces.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How can I make a 300 hp 302?

throw a bigger cam and some long tube headers at it, you'll be a happy camper.

btw if you plan on using stock springs dont go over the .475 mark on lift - you'll be in trouble, and even that is pushing it (id just replace the springs and go to something around .500 lift)

tranny will be fine, the rear will be fine too - hell i haven't blown mine yet and i have beat the crap outta that thing
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That Edelbrock performer intake is nothing more than a stock intake. Either get the Performer RPM, or better still get a Weiand Stealth intake. The carb is fine. Get some long tube headers, a dual exhaust system with 2 1/2 inch pipes with an "X" pipe. Put an upgraded cam in it. Get electronic ignition.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

making it roller is DEFF worth it, lifters, cam androckers with guideplates for the pushrods, i believe thats all you need

nice roller cam and setup, stealth intake, same carb, longtube headers and your should be good
Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

what about plugs and wires
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

That Edelbrock performer intake is nothing more than a stock intake. Either get the Performer RPM, or better still get a Weiand Stealth intake. The carb is fine. Get some long tube headers, a dual exhaust system with 2 1/2 inch pipes with an "X" pipe. Put an upgraded cam in it. Get electronic ignition.
Actually, according to a tech I talked with at Edelbrock, the performer intake is more robust and flowes better then a stock intake. Performer RPM produces power at a higher rpms, but will cost you poweroff the line. I have the Performer intake and should be pushing 325+ hp with all the other mods I made. Won't know for sure until I can get her on the dyno.
I was going to go with the Performer RPM, but was concerned with the powerband coming at higher rpms because I run 3:50 gears and am going to change to 3:25 for better highway cruising. I didnt want to be a dog off the line, and the Edelbrock tech told me to stay with the Performer intake.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Go to the Ford dealer and look at the create motors, Get out check book, go home with new motor and warranty.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i would get your heads worked, a cam, and headers then you will be a happy camper but for the record do your own porting then just have the head ssho clean it up makes it much cheaper
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Definitely get a nice exhaust system on there, that will help the thing breathe. Hooker Comp Hedders or Hedman Hedders (both LT's) are pretty much standard.
The cam is going to make the biggest power gains for you, try to go with one that 1) has a decent lift close or just above .500 and 2) has springs that can handle that kind of lift (i.e. dont rely on the stock springs if you do a cam swap). A roller would be a good idea, but I don't think its necessity if you are just trying to get to 300hp.

People will argue differently about what the 8" can handle, but in my opinion it is bullet proof to 400+ hp or so -- you won't have any issues. I would suggest swapping rear end gears as a final upgrade. I don't know what your running already, but swapping to a lower (numerically higher) gear set will really make you feel the power.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

do your own porting
ok seriously, im not trying to flame - but this is the single worst piece of advice i have ever heard given on these forums.

porting is an ART, some of you may not realize it but it IS. i have done thousands of valve jobs, converted stock heads to race heads and all the rest countless times and to be honest i wouldnt port my own heads because even though i KNOW where to grind and how much to take out i do not have the experience to keep them all even which is very important.

i cant tell you how many heads i have seen come in that were damaged due to weekend warriors porting them. screwing up valve seats, busting thru port walls, etc, etc, etc.

if you wanna learn to port, you get a set of busted heads and practice. but i strongly recommend you dont try to mess with em.

as for the intakes, i have always heard such good things about the performer rpm's and now the air-gaps..... are the stealths really better? they always looked like they would perform similar to a normal "performer"

Quick Reply: How can I make a 300 hp 302?