Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Beware of Indian Steel

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 AM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

Default Beware of Indian Steel

So I go to my local NAPA, my prefered store becuase they carry many U.S. made parts, and get 2 new motor mounts. Upon installation, one goes in fine, and I fight the other for a few hours. On closer inpsection I notice that the lower part of the problem mountwhere the sinlgle bolt runs through is simply machined wrong, about 1/4" too short. Not to my surprise, the mount was made in India!! The one that fitfine was made in the U.S. This has happened to me about 1/2 a dozen times now and I have had it! I wish all boxes containing crappy Indian parts would have a big red sticker on it that says "Cheap crap, unlikey to fit anything it is supposed to, likely to cause hours of furstration and pain, find a U.S. made part". So I went back to NAPA and went through 4 other boxes until I found a U.S. made part, got home and it fit just fine. Sorry for rambling,I just had to vent after fighting a motor mount for entirely too long.

Big Nate [:@]
Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Beware of Indian Steel

wow i don't even get that on my made in china parts that i sell at work
Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 AM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

That's right... keep your American Steelworkers working......
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

just because it's made in india/china doesn't mean its madebad we just need to make sure that better parts are made and as for keep american steelworker working tough it's called capatialism and if you had stop buying american car when they started to be worse than the japanese cars may be ford/gm would be in such trouble. Also the steel plants in the US are apparently inefficent and polluting compared with corrus plants
Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

I'm not usually one to go off on somebody. But, paddy your an idiot. Number one I'd take something made here over India or China anyday. For more than one reason #1 quality. Do you honestly think that those parts have near the quality controll of something made here. #2 yes it is a capitalistci market but you ever heard of moral responsibility. Or how about the simple concept of circular economy. What business do you work in I'm sure hundreds of thousands of unemployed will affect you. And don't give me crap about forgein cars being made better, I've seen just as many domestic cars last just as long. #3 We have polluting plants...We have poluting plants???? Apparently your head is shoved so far up your exhaust pipes you can't see how much pollution China is putting out. THey are pumping more pollutants into their rivers air and dumps then the rest of the world combined.

So next time you make some ridiculous comment, make sure your brain isn't running a few cylinders short.

*RANT OFF*
Old 01-13-2007, 02:15 PM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

Wow, I had no idea that post would strike such a geo-polictical/economic disucussion. As has been said already, China andIndiahave far less stringinent labor laws, QA, and no EPA to wtach over them soa comparison based soley on price is simply flawed. Back to my original rant, I will avoid using any parts made in India if possible on my restomod because the are inferior in quality, not price.....
Old 01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

true china has horrible pollution
Old 01-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scott_m_mil

I'm not usually one to go off on somebody. But, paddy your an idiot. Number one I'd take something made here over India or China anyday. For more than one reason #1 quality. Do you honestly think that those parts have near the quality controll of something made here. #2 yes it is a capitalistci market but you ever heard of moral responsibility. Or how about the simple concept of circular economy. What business do you work in I'm sure hundreds of thousands of unemployed will affect you. And don't give me crap about forgein cars being made better, I've seen just as many domestic cars last just as long. #3 We have polluting plants...We have poluting plants???? Apparently your head is shoved so far up your exhaust pipes you can't see how much pollution China is putting out. THey are pumping more pollutants into their rivers air and dumps then the rest of the world combined.

So next time you make some ridiculous comment, make sure your brain isn't running a few cylinders short.

*RANT OFF*
wow that sure is outta line.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I was comparing Corrus (anglo-dutch firm) with american steel mills, not china and indian steel plants, try reading what I wrote. If you have a moral responsibility sign up for kyoto!!! I don't need to lectured on environment issues by an american. As for pollution Americans produce more per capita than everbody else. Let's takeC02 footprint per capita in 2003 US19.8 tonnes, China 3.2 tonnes, india 1.19 tonnes UK 9.4 tonnes and Netherlands 8.7 tonnes Data from CDIAC. So take you head out ofyour exhaust pipes stop driving SUV and fuel inefficent daily-drivers, turn you off TV and not leave it on stand by,turn your thermosat down on thecentral heatering and up on the AC........
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

+1 to most of what paddy is saying. You guys can't honestly believe that just because something is american made it's better than that of a foreign manufacturer. Everyone has theirarea of expertise. I love the US and I love to see it succeed in any way possible but I'm not one to be ignorant about it. Sit inside of a Cadillac/Lincoln. Then sit inside of an Audi/BMW. It's simply better. Better materials, comfort...even engine in most cases. Not all foreign cars are better than American ones but a lot are from a lot of different angles. Our country pollutes big time becausewe don't generallymake it one of our majorpriorities to keep the air clean. Don't lie to me and say you do...most of you are driving big V8 cars.

Scot, it's perfectly okay to present an argument but don't call people any names or anything along those lines. Soaring just had to delete another thread so keep it clean, this section is to talk about Classic mustangs. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Beware of Indian Steel