Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

any danger

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default any danger

is there any danger to driving my car with open headers for a couple days aside from a ticket i am worried about my valves
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: any danger

If its very cold out, like under 20F, and you get it real hot, then shut it off you can burn an exhaust valve, its more prevalent with a leak at the "header to head" gasket. I burned a valve in the GTOs 455 years ago like that, but I have also ran most of my cars around with open headers. Most wont start when its under 20F, so its built in safety for me...lol.

look into some header mufflers, they arent too expensive and will work for a while. Tickets suck.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i know
Old 01-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

bout thre tickest that is
Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

I got 4 complaints in under 15 mins, and the cops stopped by ( this was before Xmas)... They told me they liked the car( they were car guys) and said i had ******* neighbors, but i should put an exhaust on beforetuning it again-Jon
Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i remember when i was like 10 years old we had a 80's ford conversion van, which we had brought to elkhart indiana and done completely custom - truely one of the nicest conversion vans i have ever seen.

anyways the weenie 6 blew (i think it was a 250 ci) and my dad scored a 302 from the junkyard that was in a late 60s mustang that had just been rebuilt and then smashed. who knows what was done to the motor during the build, but we stuck it in the van with a holley 600, some hooker headers and we went down to warshowskis (sp???.....the j.c. whitney store in chicago) and picked up a generic pair of bolt on header glasspacks.

well about two weeks later we're driving from chicago to rockford and the exhaust gets real loud. we stop and wouldnt ya know it one of the damn glasspacks broke right off at a weld and dissapeared. we crank up the volume so we can hear the aerosmith and kept goin - about 45 minutes later the OTHER muffler falls off.

needless to say we ended up just turning the damn radio off............. ahhh, memories
Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well i was thinkin about header mufflers but i dunno how they fit
Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Make sure your car will start, then kill it. Call for a tow, and tow it to a muffler shop. When the tow truck drops it off, start it to get it into the bay. A few minutes of running won't hurt anything but the ears.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Heck Glen, I have gone cruisin with open headers, and all of my testing at the farm was done with no mufflers as well..lol.. Thats why I like to live in the middle of nowhere, the people in the apartment complex in Charleston SC, werent very fond of my race car, and it had mufflers. The manager wasnt thrilled with the pro stock style burn out one saturday afternoon.. She said the floor shook in the office...

A trailer is a nice thing to have, but finding parking for it when you live in a city or on a base is a pain. I have gotten out of tickets by telling the cops I was on the way to the muffler shop with it. And the tickets dont cost you anything if you get it fixed and have another cop sign it off within the alloted time..

But it would be a good idea to not to drive around like I used to.. I am an example of how not to be...lol.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

When I was a kid on the farm, we would dig big ditches out in the pasture, and when we cut the milo, we would run it through a shredder and pile it in that ditch and cover it up with dirt. Well, that stuff is called insulage, and make cows fattern hell. Anyway, in order to get that insulage to the barn area where we fed the cows, we had to have transpo. Daddy bought an old '51 Chevy pickup for a song, so that was the insulage truck. Insulage smells like rotten pickles. Well, anyway as you may guess, it was not a truck we took care of. The exhaust manifold gaskets rotted out, so I just took off the manifolds and ran it wide open. Hell, I did that for about 3 years and that old 6 banger Chevy engine just kept on going. One of the things we boys did was to take the insulage truck on a first date with a girl. If they accepted a second date proposal, we knew they cared about us and not our ride. That sucker really smelled and was loud. The second date was either in the '54 Dodge or later in the '59 Ford. I finally got my own car when I was a senior. 1951 Chevy that I paid $275.00 for.

Quick Reply: any danger