Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Manifolds vs Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manifolds vs Headers

Ceramic coatings keep the heat inside the pipe more, they last much longer, and they stay shiny for a long time. They are still able to be dented, so if you have a low car, you can still smash them shut. They are more expensive, but if you have to buy two or three sets of headers in the lifetime of the coated ones, then its worth it. If one of my cars is low(most are) and I am always bending them up, I dont get coated headers. If they are expensive already, (like round port Pontiac headers, e.g. $500 for uncoated) then sometimes I will opt for the coated versions so they last longer. it adds about $200 to the price.

If you arent looking for more power, and dont mnd the sound you have now there is no need to change to headers. They will open it up some, occasionally they will improve mileage but not always or even often, and they will sound different and louder than manifolds. They are prone to leaks and rusting out, and dents that inhibit flow, they hang low on the car and take abuse on rough streets. Tightening the header bolts is an occasional chore.

If you want more power, they are a good step up. I cant think of a V8 powered vehicle I have had legal and driveable that doesnt have headers on it right now, including my trucks. only the winter beater and the newer projects have manifolds. that just means I am a nutcase.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

which are better?

TRI-Y's or Hooker Comp/Super Comp?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I run Hooker long tube on my 66'. Sound is great and I've had little to no issues with leaks. Just be sure to get the gasket Rmodel65suggested. You'll thank us later
Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

Oh, and what are headers that are ceramic coated?

They seemed to be much higher priced than regular headers without ceramic coating.
Ceramic coated exhaust helps keep the heat inside the exhaust pipes, instead of radiating into the engine bay.
Thanks baddog!

[8D]
Old 01-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

JBA shorties...And yes the coupon works. I tried it.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Ceramic coatings keep the heat inside the pipe more, they last much longer, and they stay shiny for a long time. They are still able to be dented, so if you have a low car, you can still smash them shut. They are more expensive, but if you have to buy two or three sets of headers in the lifetime of the coated ones, then its worth it. If one of my cars is low(most are) and I am always bending them up, I dont get coated headers. If they are expensive already, (like round port Pontiac headers, e.g. $500 for uncoated) then sometimes I will opt for the coated versions so they last longer. it adds about $200 to the price.

If you arent looking for more power, and dont mnd the sound you have now there is no need to change to headers. They will open it up some, occasionally they will improve mileage but not always or even often, and they will sound different and louder than manifolds. They are prone to leaks and rusting out, and dents that inhibit flow, they hang low on the car and take abuse on rough streets. Tightening the header bolts is an occasional chore.

If you want more power, they are a good step up. I cant think of a V8 powered vehicle I have had legal and driveable that doesnt have headers on it right now, including my trucks. only the winter beater and the newer projects have manifolds. that just means I am a nutcase.
That was great information my friend, much appreciated.

...and you made up my mind, I think will stick with manifolds for now, I absolutely love the sound of my Magnaflows right now, and although extra power is nice, I'm not really into burning rubber or anything, however, after a while, I might yet still lean towards getting some headers eventually, just a bit down the line.

Thanks again.

[8D]
Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
JamesW

I recommend headman long tube headers for your magnaflows....

http://midnightdsigns.com/james/Magnaflow.html
Old 01-27-2007, 11:55 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya i hooked long tube comp headers on my stang. got quite noticeable low end power
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

you're welcome... practical thinking helps sometimes, and giving both sides of the idea allows people to make an educated decision..

I like power, and loud, so I have headers and just deal with the other stuff. Luckily for you, we are not the same person.. lol. Keep it in mind when youwant more powa, because its not a difficult thing to change. Can give you details anytime.
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

i was gonna say if u wanna keep it the stock look u can get k code manifolds that are actually pretty good. then noticed someone said that

Quick Reply: Manifolds vs Headers