Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bondo and Rust Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bondo and Rust Bullet

that hole is small enough to where its prob going to last a bit with fiberglass over it but i wouldnt go wasting money on paint nad stripes and stuff.....

look into one of these....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567
Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: palerider

Stangdb - you're right mustangs do deserve the best you can offer - instead of using bondo I 'll use fiberglass filler - let's leave bondo for the chevys
Fiberglas filler won't soak up the moisture as does the bondo, but the surrounding area will continue to rot. There is no answer but to replace the rotted steel about a half inch back from the cancer and replace that area with new steel. If you don't do it right, just leave it as it is and don't disturb the slow rusting process until you have the time and money to do it right. If you are planning to sell it right away, then proceed with your plans.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I wanted to get a year or 2 out of it before I did the paint. Current paint is about a 5 footer. The more I mess around with the more I'm convinced I'm buying new doors. Since I'm welding & body work challenged probably be cheaper for me in the long run to put new doors on instead of having body shop put newskins.I'm going to take a welding class one day.

In any cases ended grinding down, treating inside and outside with rust bullet, filling with jb weld.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: palerider

I wanted to get a year or 2 out of it before I did the paint. Current paint is about a 5 footer. The more I mess around with the more I'm convinced I'm buying new doors. Since I'm welding & body work challenged probably be cheaper for me in the long run to put new doors on instead of having body shop put newskins.I'm going to take a welding class one day.

In any cases ended grinding down, treating inside and outside with rust bullet, filling with jb weld.
welding classes are probably good...but honestly, i just picked up a welder and figured it out and practiced....but maybe thats just me and the way i learn....
Old 01-28-2007, 11:24 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Shift - that's basically how I've learned stuff I do. I need to do my cowl one day and engine bay shock tower. Would the welder you gave me a link on handle that?

For the money and limited use may be good investment plus a new toy.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

yeah i mean i shopped around and ended up buying that one. inexpensive, not to hard to figure out with the gas and stuff. people on here said it was fine for light work like sheet metal and so far its been good for patching in new metal. I dono how it would be in real thick metal but sheet metal has been fine. some other people can prob give you some input too. Basically, it fills all my needs, and thats what matters....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55250,
this way you can step up to gas if you ever feel the need
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grruminator78

Just make sure you have a 240v outlet somewhere.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grimm

ORIGINAL: grruminator78

Just make sure you have a 240v outlet somewhere.
which is why i suggested getting the other one since u can plug it in anywhere and dont have to deal with the gas and stuff.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

What kind of welding do you do with your mig? Do you think that you could tackle a quarter skin with it? I am going to be getting a mig in June and I know that you get more slag with the flux core, but what kind of control do you get? I want as little warpage as possible on my quarters.

Quick Reply: Bondo and Rust Bullet