Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Export brace support question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default Export brace support question

Do I need to order an extra piece that goes on the cowl to help support the new export brace I have ordered? It looks like a thin piece of metal that is folded and matches the holes in the cowl to where the export brace attaches.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Export brace support question

on my car the export brace bolted into the same holes as the previous shock tower supports bolted into. I needed no extra peice watsoever.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Soaring,
The export brace should match uto preexisting holes on both the cowl and shock towers and the shock tower caps fit on top of the export brace. That is how mine fit on my 65 fastback as I remember.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

My export brace bolted right up to the existing holes on the cowl and the shock tower caps. Not an exact fit to the originals but close enough to fit it on-I can tell the bolts at one of the shock towers aren't in the exact same position as before, but they are still in there proper channels, not in the holes where they can come out[].
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Glen, that folded metal piece you are talking about is called a cowl stiffner plate...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

Do cowl stiffner plates come in chrome?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

The extra peice is for more support. In a front ender, the brace has only the firewall (basically) to support it and all the force is into a small thin area.The bracket help re-enforce the fire wall. Not really necessary, maybe a little over kill for a daily drive, but cheep enough. And, when it somes to anything that can add some safety, why not?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Anything that can stiffen up the front of a 40 year old car can't be bad. Dirt cheap. Added structural integrity. What's the debate?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I am not convincied it will make much difference myself in the feel of the front end at all and not convinced it make much difference. It probable depends on how easy the brace goes in, mine require pushing the bolt through at an angle with the car jacked on the lower arms and then tightening the bolt slowly to pull the body and brace straight so the extra piece of metal would have gotten slightly in the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: paddy187

I am not convincied it will make much difference myself in the feel of the front end at all and not convinced it make much difference. It probable depends on how easy the brace goes in, mine require pushing the bolt through at an angle with the car jacked on the lower arms and then tightening the bolt slowly to pull the body and brace straight so the extra piece of metal would have gotten slightly in the way.
Yeah, I'm leaning your way Paddy. It will probably be difficult enough getting the bolts in without an extra piece to get in the way. We'll see. Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Export brace support question