Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ebay scammers are getting better!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default ebay scammers are getting better!

I happened to be browsing ebay this morning and came across a couple obvious scams. However, if not for the price, I would think these auctions were for real! Kinda scary. Apparently the scammers are picking up on all the stuff we post in forums like this. Looks like he listed a couple other things while I was typing all this out too. He also has the GTO listed as a Dodge Coronet. LOL

bogus #1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1941-...QQcmdZViewItem

bogus #2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ebay scammers are getting better!

the first 2 pics of the *****'s i thought it was a model car
Old 02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
ts91stang
2nd Gear Member

They are getting good! The last auction that I won was a "Buy it now". I made the payment immediately as told to do by Seller. Two days later the seller sends an email wanting to know when I was going to make payment. I told him that I had already made payment. Ended up someone has been hijacking ebay auctions by changing the Sellers account info so that the payment actually goes to a different Paypal account.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:04 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ts91stang

They are getting good! The last auction that I won was a "Buy it now". I made the payment immediately as told to do by Seller. Two days later the seller sends an email wanting to know when I was going to make payment. I told him that I had already made payment. Ended up someone has been hijacking ebay auctions by changing the Sellers account info so that the payment actually goes to a different Paypal account.
That sucks. What was the item you purchased? Paypal will refund you a lot of the time for stuff like that.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I have never figured out how someone could or even want to buy a car off Ebay. Man, I have to inspect the **** out of a car before I buy it. I don't believe anything that anybody says about it. Nothing. I have to feel it, taste and hear it first hand before I even start to get interested. You are just setting yourself up to get taken to the cleaners if you buy a car off Ebay.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I think the majority of the time it's for the poor and inexperienced. You can find some great prices on eBay motors. I also know a guy who got a 65 coupe just like yours and he drives it all the time. He doesn't know a thing about Mustangs though - just wanted a Classic.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I have never figured out how someone could or even want to buy a car off Ebay. Man, I have to inspect the **** out of a car before I buy it. I don't believe anything that anybody says about it. Nothing. I have to feel it, taste and hear it first hand before I even start to get interested. You are just setting yourself up to get taken to the cleaners if you buy a car off Ebay.
I agree with you 98%. I would never buy something I cantsee in person, and talk to the owner. However,I have bought 2 cars off ebay sight unseen. One was a 98 wrangler that had been wrecked, and I only paid $3500 for it. Not the type of thing a scammer would get very far with. I also talked to the owner (a business) before hand. The second, was my 65 falcon wagon. Paid a wopping $253 for it. It looked like hell on wheels, again not the type of thing a scammer would get very far with. In fact, if I found out it was a scam before I paid, I would have paid for it anyway out of pity that the scammer had to use such an awful looking car.

EDIT: was going to add that these dont have all the earmarks of a classic scam. It actually has details, quite a few in this case, and a bit of slang. IE gto = goat, etc. The big thing is that the part that says his email, buy it now, and do not bid, etc is actually typed into the body of ad, instead of the typical "picture of text" Ive always seen before.

EDIT 2: SOARING: is there a different way to post the link? Those things are like a mile wide, makes it annoying as hell to read everyones posts. Feel free to edit it.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

My dad brought a 2004 jaguar of ebay in germany but went over to view it first
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Eric, the long window all started with you and your long link you posted in the original thread here. Yeah, I agree, and it sucks, but there is nothing the software can do to correct this problem. Choose a shorter link next time.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ive never tasted any of my cars even though the fox has candy paint?

j/k lol

Quick Reply: ebay scammers are getting better!