Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I am NEW, Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Default I am NEW, Need advice

I recently purchased a 68 Mustang Coupe. Obviously the first thing I need to do is repair the body. I need some advice as to where I begin. Please look at the pictures that have been sent to me by the seller at the following web location....http://www.rhughesrealty.com/stang/

Let me know what you think I should do about this body. It appears that the A-pillar is the most concern.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I am NEW, Need advice

Holy cow, look how far those rears stick out, hahah!

While everything is stripped off the car, most people start out replacing the suspension and brakes...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Damn that A pillar is bad. You hit the nail on the head...start with that. The rest of the body looks pretty good. The little damage to the right hand B pillar can be fixed pretty easily. What are you looking at in the way of engine/tranny combo?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

The seller said the car comes with a remand 351Wand a transmission, I don't know any more than that. Can the A-pillar be fixed or should it be totally replaced. I am thinking about taking it to a body shop and telling them to media blast it and rustproof/primer the whole thing. Then I can address the rest of thebody components. Or (since I have never done this before) should I have the body shop handle the body and a-pillar repairs? I would like to do as much work on this myself along with my two sons as a family project.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

To me, that depends, on Skill level, If you have tools( welder etc.) and motivation, as in dont start if you dont think your going to finish! -Jon
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Holy cow, look how far those rears stick out, hahah!

Yeah, I'll be replacing those.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya first things first is to get rid of any car cancer you have. it looks very clean and u definatly got a good buy there. im not sure where you could get a whole new a piller without just making one but if u have tools i would media blast it myself and see what your truely working with and if u can save it or if after you find the thing is swiss cheese. other than that check the floor panels and other body panels. after structural stuff start with suspension, brake stuff
Old 02-14-2007, 01:26 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

honestly i would sell that one and buy another car to start with id hate for you to get in over your head the drip rails are gone the roof is damgaed etc.

unless u really want a challenging car but if ur a newbie id buy a one with a little less sheet metal damage

also that car is in acid etch primer it needs to be top coated quickly with an epoxy primer because that green primer will absorb moisture
Old 02-14-2007, 01:32 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I'm kinda with rmodel65... I would start off with a cleaner body...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

I agree that I can't handle the a-pillar issues. However, I got the car for a pretty good price. I guess you get what you pay for. How much do you think it would cost for a bodyshop to repair the rust?

Quick Reply: I am NEW, Need advice