Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

balljoints replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

Default balljoints replacement

i want to replace all balljoints on my 66 and in my search on ebay so far i can only find upper balljoints ... for the lower balljoint they seems only available in combination with the lower control arm?? ( from LAUREL MOUNTAIN MUSTANG)

am i looking at the wrong place or is that everywhere that lower balljoint are only sold in combi with the control arm?

arthur

Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: balljoints replacement

i just did mine this week.

i used the whole lower control arm kit because my ball joints had never been replaced and were therefore still riveted in place. in addition, you can bet the inner bushes were no good too. the kit has new bushes already.

you can buy the bits individually, but you have to drill out the old ball joints and press the bushes. its a bit of work, so i just found it easier to buy it already set up.

i would go to a reputable parts store (not the cheapies) if you still want to get the ball joints and a bush replacement kit individually. they are still available.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I guess I need an education. I didn't know there was such thing as an upper and a lower ball joint. Can you take a picture of that lower ball joint?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

here a pic ... the balljoints are on the lower control arm:

i won't mind rebuilding the complete suspension.. already did with my corvette and it all looks very similair to my idea

arthur

Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

no photos today. I am at work!!

upper control arm, lower control arm, spindle held between. Ball joints do the holding. Crawl under and have a look. Most are greasable, so it is the bottom grease point nearest the wheel with a rubber boot over it.
if you dont know they are there, yours are probably stuffed too Glen!!! If they are still riveted in, chances are they are now 40 years old as the replacement lower control arm kit is relatively new. they always used to drill em out and just replace the ball joint.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 AM
joe68stang

If everyting in the front end is original, go for the total suspension kit. Do the steering too. Did mine last year really pleased. Joe
Old 02-15-2007, 01:01 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

I just rebuilt my front end and thank god for the lower arms with both the bushings and ball joints ready to go,,didn't have spend how much time? drilling out the old ones,,then go back when ? to replace bushings and learning new 4 letter words and who knows how many band aids on the knuckles,,the couple of extra bucks to save time and agravation was well worth it,,just remember you might have to drop the cross member to get the bolt that goes thru the bushing and also holds the arm on off to get at and remove it
Old 02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Yeah I found the lower with the arm thing already. If you happen to have a 67, just get 68 lowers and 68 style strut rods. The 67 arms are a one year only piece and those things are EXPENSIVE! mine is getting 68 parts.. first week of Marcheven if the power goes out and I cant log in for a month, I will have my front end parts!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get the whole armand read this on ball joint removal its the easiest way to get them apart http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/sho...shockfall1.htm
Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

so i can use 68 arms in my 67 and it won't affect anything so whats the purpose of the extra holes in the lower then

Quick Reply: balljoints replacement