Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

All Original or does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Bluerose

Default All Original or does it matter?

Just getting ready to buy my first Mustang in 20 years. My last Mustang was a 67 fastback which I sold for about $800 because it had a cracked block that I couldn't afford to fix (I was 18)[:@]

Since I can't get my fastback or my dream car (when I was 16 theMach 1). I'm figuring on buying a nice 65- 68 coupe with at least a 289. I'm looking for something that runs well, is in good condition (as far as rust and that), and a straight body. Paint, needing some cosmetic restoration is not a problem.

I have seen alot of decent looking cars here is So. Cal for around 7000 - 7500 most have been modified. I also have come across 1 car that is said to be very close to toatally "original" (I have not gone to see it) for 7900. Does is really matter? woud I be making an investment buying the "original" and keeping it that way verses just buying what I like and having some fun?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default RE: All Original or does it matter?

I say buy what you like and have a ton of fun!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Bluerose

Is 7000 reasonable? I've also seen 1 65 fastback for10k but it needs some work so might be too steep.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

First of all, get the idea that you are making an investment out of your mind. Yes, these classics do not go down in value like a new car would, but they also require a great deal of maintenance. I have an almost original because that is what I prefer. Others have slightly modified to heavily modified versions. As far as I know, everybody thinks their car is special over all the others. You will be the one driving the car, and will probably keep it for many years to come. Whether it is going to be an original or a modified Mustang will be totally left up to your decision.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:20 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

depends on how it looks and whats been done, I paid 5500 for mine, you can look at my photos to see it. Passes the 10 foot test no problem, but does have its blemishes.
Pics and discriptions would help, or you could just link the add here and everyone will chime in on their opinions.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

I can testify that I for one do not think mine is better than anyone elses, YET!

[sm=hail.gif]There are way too many cars on here that I would love to be driving, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be able to make it my own like I can with the 67 I currently have.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: grruminator78

depends on how it looks and whats been done, I paid 5500 for mine, you can look at my photos to see it. Passes the 10 foot test no problem, but does have its blemishes.
Pics and discriptions would help, or you could just link the add here and everyone will chime in on their opinions.
Ok might do it. got to do a couple hours of work then thinking of going out for a look. Found this one listed for $3500 todaybut I can see it needs a front fender.

1967 Ford Mustang coupe. RUNS GREAT. 302 V-8 with 12K miles
Auto trans, Power Steering. Black interior
Edelbrock Intake manifold, Edelbrock 4-brl carb.
2 ¼ dual exhaust

Recently replaced:
3-row Radiator
Fan shroud
Oversize Radiator fan
Heater core
Blower motor
Defrost Door assembly
Turn signal switch
Fuel tank
Fuel sending unit
Neutral Safety switch
Front Door panels
Pony interior
Carpet
Rear window regulators
American Racing Rims

Needs cosmetics:
Dash pad
Headliner
Minor body work
Drive seat seam separation
Great project car

[IMG]local://upfiles/61238/5D7846FF66874DB99A3E8E54EDA985F0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2007, 04:28 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

woud I be making an investment buying the "original" and keeping it that way verses just buying what I like and having some fun?
Does this imply that buying the "original" wouldn't be fun to you?

Before I bought mine, it had a complete restoration (about ten years ago). They kept everything original with a few exceptions (mild cam, Pertronix, Flowmaster exhaust). I changed the two barrel carb and intake to a four barrel Edelbrock setup and plan on changing the 3.00:1 gears to maybe 3.55:1. I have also looked at shift kits for the original FMX transmission.

My thoughts are - if you are buying it as an investment, it probably isn't going to be fun and it should just sit in your environmentally controllable garage. When you buy stocks/bonds you don't buy them for fun. However if you do want to have fun, make all the changes that you want to your Mustang and enjoy it customized to your liking.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

looks like the one you just listed is okay, the body work shouldn't be that much, hell a new fender isn't that much around 3-400 bucks
Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: NorCalTroy

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

woud I be making an investment buying the "original" and keeping it that way verses just buying what I like and having some fun?
Does this imply that buying the "original" wouldn't be fun to you?
Not necessarily but I would be more inclined to keep an original an original so adding stuff would be a bit more boring. Mostly the guy is asking a premium because of it. But it is local and a darn nice looking car.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...3/87683483.htm

Quick Reply: All Original or does it matter?