Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

some plug fell out of my engine ... ?! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default some plug fell out of my engine ... ?! (pics)

Hi all,

289 engine.
my car was at the garage to check what's actually wrong with my rear. (it's the pinion bearings by the way). New ones are ordered.
since i got it back the car it sounded like when the exhaust manifold goes.
So i checked where the leak is and right next to the header (exactly to it's right) there is a hole.

I checked on the other side of the engine (the other head) and at te same spot there is a plug which is missing on the other side.

Does anyone know what this is used for ? why it's plugged up or what can optionally go there.
And most importantly: where to get such a plug.
I couldn't find it in a part catalog. It doesn't seem to be freezer plug as it's not sitting in the water channel.

thanks for any help

Kalli

[IMG]local://upfiles/52145/7703D10082884010BD6062A485FD3D5E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: some plug fell out of my engine ... ?! (pics)

the picture above is cylinder 8 spark plug. the header on the left.
The same hole but with plug exists to the right of the header above cylinder 1

I know the engine is oily, but I can't wash it with that plug missing

Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a "freeze plug" to me....from what I understand it's an area that will expand if you have only water in your block and it freezes. The plug will take the brunt of the expansion. You should just be able to tap a new one in.

Have you run it this way? I would think all your coolant would run out or have run out by now.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Freeze plug.
Go to an auto parts store and get another one.Clean opening of rust and pound in the new one.
I don't remember any plug in that area , But thats the only thing it could be.
289 heads

[IMG]local://upfiles/58274/8A39A9A4EE5B487DAA229854CD045F12.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Looks like it might be part of the air injection system for emissions. Check to see if its threaded, if it is then it will take NPT threaded pipe plug to seal it up. The air injection is what the tubes are in the pic ZZ posted.. Looks to be about the spot where the tube goes in the exhaust port on the top head. I'll check my 68 heads and the 5.0 while I am outside today.. Mght be able to give insight tonight..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hi all,

thanks for the replies so far. But I very mjuch doubt a freeze plug.
A freeze plug does exactly what you say above. Water expands when freezing. So instead of blowing the engine apart when there's no antifreeze you might get lucky and it'll push those out.

But they sit on the water channel and this is not the case with my plugs.
I have run the engine with the plug missing and it's no water coming out. It's exhaust. And it sounds exactly as when the exhaust manifold is missing. just not as loud.
I rather believe it has to do with exhaust system.

ZZmustang: The heads you depict are different to mine (thanks for the picture).
Yours have a hose coming out on top of every cylinder connecting to the tube. I believe this has to do with exhaust as well.
I don't have those holes and tube and your head is missing the single hole that I have.
It seems to be that maybe your head is older or younger then mine and they changed from single hole to 4 holes or something

in fact it would rather freak me out (engine really bad) if it wouldn't be an exhaust hole for the amount of pressurized air coming out of it.

Kalli
Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hi Thumpin,

you must have replied at the same time as I did.
I'll check as soon as I'm home if it's threaded but i really didn't look and feel it when I had my finger in it last night. It was dark though.
And yes I would suspect something with emissions as well.

I don't have the tubes and hoses as in ZZ's post, only one single bigger hole as it seems.

Kalli
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Looks like it might be part of the air injection system for emissions. Check to see if its threaded, if it is then it will take NPT threaded pipe plug to seal it up. The air injection is what the tubes are in the pic ZZ posted.. Looks to be about the spot where the tube goes in the exhaust port on the top head. I'll check my 68 heads and the 5.0 while I am outside today.. Mght be able to give insight tonight..
Ditto on the air injection fitting. The picture of the heads that ZZ posted shows the air injection system. If it's leaking exhaust that's all it could be.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Well, it's for certain not a freeze plug.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

oh and just FYI.. its a rare case that the plugs pop out and save the block, that isnt really why they are there. The real reason for them is to get the sand out of the casting, because they are molded in sand. Right now there is a 351W and a 302 in the shop, both are marine engines and both are cracked. If you dont drain a marine engine completely, you get a junk block with good internals.

Havent gotten a chance to look at the 68 heads yet, been getting trucks moved and a fire started so I can build two carbs and do some body work.. Will check while I am out there after the lunch break..

Quick Reply: some plug fell out of my engine ... ?! (pics)