Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anybody have one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

Default Anybody have one of these?

I know you guys arent impressed with harbor freight but my buddies grandpa is getting rid of his cherry picker which i have been using and its old and the pump is worn. I think he wants more money than harbor freight wants for a new folding one ton shop crane (cherry picker). With space being important, im contemplating just getting one from hf because its close by and I can get one for 90 bucks, plus the fact that it folds is important so I don't make my dad any more angry than he already is. If you guys have any input, let me know. Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anybody have one of these?

Harbor Freight is the exact reason they people say, 'YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.' If you buy it from HF just expect it to break and if it doesn't.... BONUS!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I got my folding cherry picker from Pep Boys for $119. To be honest it looks no different than the one from HF. They're all made in China like everything else. I don't care what brand or how expensive a cherry picker or jack is, I'm not going under anything lifted by it that is not supported by a solid object.

How many times are you going to use the lift? I figured if I used it for 10 to 20 engine swaps in my life it would be well worth it. I've used it twice so far and it certainly saved me a lot of money and hassle over renting one.

All of the HF bashers give anecdotal advice based on such trivial things as the stuff being made in China (likemost and soon to be nearly all stuff), basically emotional reasons. The fact of the matter remains, that for the hobbyist, most of their stuff will work just fine.

Good luck!

[edit] just to clarify, I'm not saying all their stuff is up to snuff. Their ball joint press is utter crap ... then again, so are most low priced ones from other sources. This tool requires ponying up the bucks for a good one with a hardened 'C' that won't bend when you're trying to press out a stubborn joint. That said, they took back my bent press for a full refund without a problem. I don't think Sears would warranty it because it is not a 'hand tool'. [:@]
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, its nice to see two oposite sides of the spectrum. I have only bought very little from hf but the few things i have got from them work great and I have no complaints. I figured I would just use it until the bottle jack breaks andreplace the bottle with a better one later on. I dont go in to that store with high expectations, I got a bead roller from them and didn't even attempt to use it before beefing it up and now it is awesome, not to mention that I saved myself 300 bucks on the next low priced one. I figure that I can spend 90 on this and if necessary, another 50 later on a new ram.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

I'm not against HF. I have some stuff from them that works fine and a car jack that likes to drop 1" every night. (even with no weight on it.) Nothing like coming out and seeing your 68 Mustang on it's frame because the tires were off the front. OUCH! (learned my lesson fast on that one)
Old 02-20-2007, 01:34 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxs191

I'm not against HF. I have some stuff from them that works fine and a car jack that likes to drop 1" every night. (even with no weight on it.) Nothing like coming out and seeing your 68 Mustang on it's frame because the tires were off the front. OUCH! (learned my lesson fast on that one)
That will happen with expensive jacks as well. BTDT. At least you know it was let down lightly, huh?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Can't argue with you there Gothand. Amen for that.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I would rather rent a good one than to buy a cheap one. How many times are you going to use it over a lifetime?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
03Mach69Mach
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I would rather rent a good one than to buy a cheap one. How many times are you going to use it over a lifetime?
Yeah, the rented ones are probably much better maintained and used with lots of care by those before you get it!

Harbor Freight may not have the highest quality tools, but when it comes to things like engine lifts or spring tools, if they sell stuff that is inherently cheap & fails in America, then they would not still be in business. Lawyers would fly onto them like fly's and the same society that sues for hot coffee would quickly make them a bankrupt company. If I can spend $50 to rent one or $90 to own one, I would buy it (just my opinion & $.02)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-13-2010 at 11:11 PM.