Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:03 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

Default suspension upgrade

since i am considering a suspension upgrade for my 66 fastback i have been browsing through several threads on the forum and came up with 3 high quality vendors:

total control
global west
opentracker

first idea was to get the upper and lower control arms from one of those 3 and roller perches from opentracker .. then i also need new coils and shocks
but considering all pro and cons about everything.. price/quality etc etc i got a new idea.. that is upgrade to the coilover suspension system from total control ( all necessary parts in one kit)

if calculating all seperate parts + shipping cost to europe i think the coilover system + shipping is not that much more expensive afterall.. and to my idea superior in ride quality(?)... or do i see something wrong on this?
i am not planning to start racing on a track. so maybe i am doing an overkill with this kind of upgrade.. but i assume even on the street i would definitely notice the difference compared to the standard suspension ?

T.i.a you for any input on this.

arthur

Old 02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: suspension upgrade

I have the full kit from Global West on my '65 fastback. Even without a proper alignment yet or the installation of the GW subframe connectors and adjustable monte carlo bar, it really outclasses my '65 GT that had the equivalent of the Grab-a-trak suspension (springs, new arms and bushings, swaybars, etc.).

I can't comment as to how the Global West compares to the others, but I can tell you that it really works well.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

gothand, you mean you have the upgrade kit from global west... but if i am right it is not a coilover suspension?
anyway it is already good to know it outclasses the Grab-a-track... atleast i don't have to doubt about that anymore.... now still if i should get the coilover (totalcontrol) or one of the other upgrade kit from totalcontrol, global west or opentracker.

arthur

Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

arthur,
hows the rest of the car...specifically steering and brakes?
I would love the total control setup with the rack and pinion steering and the whole box and dice.
but if the budget were a bit limited, i would look at rebuilding/ upgrading standard suspension as this will make a big difference anyway and leave enough in the pot to put a new steering box and brake improvements...better alround improvement unless you have the $$ to go all out.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

I have Global West negative camber kit on my 65. It also has Koni, Quickor, Export/Monti-Carlo with Traction-Master Under-rides. The car DOES NOT UNDERSTEER!!!!!!!!
I've looked at the Total-Control coil-over set-up but it places all the load on the bolts that go through the spring tower. Not good IMHO. If I were to go that route I would use the Global-West set-up. It has an aluminum cone upper shock mount that mounts under the spring tower and places the load on the same spot as the stock spring...much better I think.
Also thought about the Heidts Mustang II front end but I worry about the Ackerman on that since the wheel base is so much shorter than a 65.
Good luck not matter what you decide.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input so far... you guys gave me something to think about

i already have a front (rotor) disc upgrade kit for the brakes
i didn't know global west has a coilover for a 66 mustang.. but i guess it is the mustang II kit ( on their page 67-70 mustangs?)

arthur
Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 AM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arthur

thanks for the input so far... you guys gave me something to think about

i already have a front (rotor) disc upgrade kit for the brakes
i didn't know global west has a coilover for a 66 mustang.. but i guess it is the mustang II kit ( on their page 67-70 mustangs?)

arthur
No, it's not the II type but a $2500.00 coil over rear-steer unit similar to Total Control. Go to Heidt's.com and stag-aholics.com....some pretty neat stuff.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 AM
AndysJeeps

I need to rebuild my front end as well, I have been looking at the Grab a Track that you have been talking about.

Mustangs Plus also said I could take out my power steering and use a link they have to help with more feel of the road.

Mine is a 68 coupe
Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 AM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AndysJeeps

I need to rebuild my front end as well, I have been looking at the Grab a Track that you have been talking about.

Mustangs Plus also said I could take out my power steering and use a link they have to help with more feel of the road.

Mine is a 68 coupe
Don't remove the p/s...have the alignment shop crank in about 8 degrees of caster. If they can't do it all with the lower control arm have them also work with shims on the upper arm like on a 65/66. That should do what you want.
There is also a new valve from Summit that allows you to control your p/s pressure to adjust your 'feel'.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM
AndysJeeps

What about the kit from Mustang Plus? My tie rod ends are toast and the steering box is loose, it's like driving a weaving mess right now.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade