Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Say it Ain't So

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Say it Ain't So

don't forget the AVEO, that thing is a BEAST!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

lol a montecarlo hemi
my silverado is gunna have a hemi lol J/k
but my chevy viper is gunna be sick
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

oh and the Solstice won the SCCA class B title over all the asian cars... finishing 27 seconds ahead of the second place Civic.. that much time in racing, is an eternity... but GM doesnt build good cars.. FYI, class B is a completely stock vehicle with a rollbar and safety items added.
I thought I was obsessed with cars. Then I see that someone out there actually knowsthe results (and the rules)ofa SCCA class B race between a Civic and a Solstice. IMO That would be like going to a sacntioned NHRA event and instead of watching the featured races on the main strip, you spend all weekend watching the pine box derby races that are set up in a tent behind the funnel cake stand.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

The solstice has a euroengine, ecotech is what GM uses in europe, and designed by lotus in England as is the same car platform as the opel/vauxhall GT and saturn something. So that why it handles so well
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

All you guys hate GM but they arent that bad. I might like the old fords better than the old GMs but I wouldnt buy a new Ford over a new GM. I just got an 04 grand prix and before that I had a 90 bonneville and both of them are awesome. That bonny is 17 years old and has 180 something thousand miles on it and is still going strong and the Grand Prix will brake the tires loose on the drop of a dime and holds the road like its on rails. What new ford car besides the mustang looks as good as the stuff pontiac has out right now? To sum up, you guys cant forget some of the better things gm has put out, like the 3.8 liter engine and the new silverado/sierra.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

the only two "modern" cars I even like are the mustang and the charger, other than that I'm a truck/SUV kind of guy (for newer vehicles).
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Not too sure why GM will be buying anything. Last thing I heard, they are going belly up. Guess not......
Here is the only GM as such car I have ever owned. Ain't she a beaut? That was back when they made real cars.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Can't speak for all Dodge vehicles but I wouldn't say my 06' Charger R/T is crap. I would say however that most of the modern cars built today are not built very well (Ford, GM, Chrysler).

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Dodge does build crap, but they also have some better vehicles since the Germans bought them. The tend to make goofy stuff and niche vehicles. And the Viper probably wont be going anywhere.. its not like its a threat to the Vette anyway. This would really give me something to rip on my brother and dad about, since they are all Dodge 100% and wont drive anything else..

Apparently you guys havent driven any of the good cars GM builds. Also you must not have used any of the Duramax powered trucks. We have done back to back comparisons with the F250/350 and the Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons with the Duramax trucks of the same size, and the GM does it using less fuel..

Look into ZO6 and pretty much any Vette built since 97. They have won a few prestigious races and the LS7.R engine won the Global Motorsport Engine of the Year, an award given by polling 50 top engine builders in Europe, Japan and USA. They picked a pushrod 2 valve engine over all the DOHC 4 valve engines, even the 4.6L. Seems to have won its class at LeMans for the fifth time and 6 consecutive American LeMans championships. World class vehicle right there. I would say they have plenty of car, but of course you wouldnt since the Mustang rules all and the Ford GT is so much better. I know I have seen so many GT's just cruisin around that they must be making millions of them..

Show me a Mustang that can run with a stock 98-02 F-body and you will have shown me a car that uses alot more gas to make the same power. Those cars in stock form are capable of 26-31mpg highway and mid to low 13 second in the 1/4. Still havent seen a Mustang do that, certainly not a stock one.

Dont be blinded just because you like Ford. There are very capable vehicles out there made by every manufacturer, some are better than others at certain things, but in the real world its nice to have a quick car that gets great mileage. As for the plastic interiors, well Ford has plastic everywhere inside the car too. Its not like they have real wood in the Focus now is it? They might have real woodgrain in the Lincolns, but thats about it.

GM is screwin up no doubt, but not evrything they build is junk like it was from 1980-1997.. Its just those years put a hurtin on them even though they are building good cars now.. Still I wonder how they could buy Chrysler when they are bleeding money left and right.. Maybe they want to take Chrysler down with them and just leave Ford and the imports..
Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have bought well over 20 Fords and Chevys since 1988, (for work and home), overall they both make great products. In 1990 I bought a Dodge experience was not so great.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Not too sure why GM will be buying anything. Last thing I heard, they are going belly up. Guess not......
Here is the only GM as such car I have ever owned. Ain't she a beaut? That was back when they made real cars.
weve got one of those at work exact same color but the hood ornament is different its has a glass figure or something coming from the chrome

Quick Reply: Say it Ain't So