Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I6 headwork and exhaust, power output?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default I6 headwork and exhaust, power output?

I am on a budget, but my eventual plan (in 2-3 years) is to put a 302 in my Mustang. Seeing as how that's not for a while I would like to get more power of of my inline. I have the skills and time to do work, however I don't really want to spend much money on the 200.

I am most likely going to port and polish the head. Also, the car has a flowmaster exhaust but stock exhaust manifold, so I will be fabricating a header.

So, IF I make a flow-matching header and P&P my head, does anyone know what sort of power gains I can get?

Also, and other way to get real power for under 50 bucks? Please don't just link me to fordsix.com or equivalent, I'd appreciate a real answer.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I6 headwork and exhaust, power output?

I wouldnt even try to mod the 200. On a VERY good day they are rated for about 115 Horsepower at the flywheel. it all depends on the money you're willing to spend. Ive seen a 200 that had triple carbs and modified cam, crank, head and headers.No expense spared. It ran a 12 sec 1/4. Personally i would save your money for the 302.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Seeing as how I have time to spare I wouldn't mind doing work to it. If I only get 5hp out of it though, then I won't do it.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Have you thought about swao meeting? that would be time worth spending. Get a cheap 302( 200$ in the paper here) get some cheap performance parts ( headers 50$ at swapmeets, etc.) parts for 302's are cheap. That that extra "time" make a few bucks, even if its only 500$ and do a cheaper rebuild. -Jon
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-13-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

why spend the money now?,,just save and make your plan happen
Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

A lot of very good information available on www.fordsix.com
I had a lot of experience with the 200 back in the mid 70s. I revisited the idea of building up the 200 last year as it is light and can rev like no tomorrow. The weight advantage is great for handling and braking.
I would think you would want to commit to the I-6 as a permanent resident under your hood before doing too much with it.
I just gave away the I-6 asmotivation to get working on a V8.
The first Gen Mustangs were touted as "sporty cars". "Sporty cars" had straight 6 engines (Austin Healey, Morgan, MG, Triumph, etc). So a nicely done 6 cylinder does fit this generation of car. They don't all have to be "muscle cars".
Good luck what ever you decide.
Yep, but the MG's and Austin Healey's were tiny as compared to the early Mustangs. And, they were crap. I personally owned an MG midget and an Austin Healey.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:10 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Why would you spend money on the engine just to throw it away later for another engine. If you just gonna waste money, send it to me...

How about doing some interior/brakes/suspension work..
Old 02-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-13-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I just got through spewing beer all over my monitor and laughed for about 10 minutes. The wife came in and read your thread and started laughing so hard she had to leave the room. I can just imagine what you must have looked like trying to get to the house with your battery sparking.
I also had an English Ford that a buddy who worked with me at the Austin State Hospital while we were in college and I bought for 65 bux. The rear end had a broken pinion gear and the engine was not running. Well, he had the gear that went with the car, so we bought it. We put the gear in, then started working on the engine. The fuel tank was rusted out, so we decided to strap a 5 gallon gas tank on the front bumper and install the fuel sending unit on the can. (dumb idea) Anyway, after overhauling the carburetor, I got the damn thing running. It sat there idling just smooth as a kitten's butt, so I decided to take it for a spin around the block. About halfway around the block, the gas can was punctured by the bumper and gas was everywhere. The engine caught on fire, and I had to bail bevore the whole car went up in flames. When my wife saw me with my singed eyebrows and hair, she started rolling in the floor from laughting.

Quick Reply: I6 headwork and exhaust, power output?