Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tires to handle a Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tires to handle a Supercharger

Changing tire brand might be more effective then adding a small amount of surface contact area. The BF Goodrich radials I have have an incredible grip. Iknow you mentioned you want to keep the redline tires.

Also could change the gears in your diff.and prevent some of that unwanted spinning. What are you running now? You have a some sort of posi, right?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

gothand:

what tires are you running with your 15x7 styled steel wheels?
I have BF Goodrich Euro T/As. Although they are essentially brand new, I don't think they make them any more. I bought them over 10 years ago, but they've been sitting waiting for me to get working on my project again.

Anyway, they are 225/50-15. They look okay in the wheelwell probably because the Global West suspension drops it down quite a bit. I originally had the 225/60-15 on Torq Thrust wheels but had clearance issues with the front fenders so I swapped to the lower profile tires. When those didn't cure things, I ultimately decided on the styled steel wheels which have more backspacing. For whatever reason, I've always liked the styled steel wheels the best on the 65/66 so it worked out.

I'd like to try the 225/60-15s again to give a little taller tire. FWIW, the 225/60-15 was the stock size for many years on the Fox body Mustangs so there are plenty of performance tires in that size.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
venpry

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

With the additon of 100 hourses to my 66 fastback, my guys were suggesting a wider tire (I currently have steel styled wheel with double red line 14x5 radials). They cautioned me that with the 300+ housepower I will be constantly spinning my wheels - especialy in 1st and 2nd gears.

One option is to keep the new tires I haveand get a custom 14x6 steel style wheel. This would spread the tired out for more contact and give me a slightly lower ride.

I also like the torq thurst wheels but wantto keep a "stock" look on the outside and I really like the double redline tires.

Any suggestions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/53233/818812D2883D4E589A9A0B5B487A7C2D.jpg[/IMG]
The general rule of thumb is that a .5 inch wider wheel will spread the tire .2 inches. It will not effect the overall rolling diameter; the steel belts won't allow it to compress. That being said, because the the tire is stretched horizontally,it will appear to be slightly shorter because the angle between the sidewall and tread will be increased, creating a rounded shoulder.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

I'm a bit confusued.

So if I want to keep the style steel wheel look, what do you guys recommend as the best option to put more rubber on the pavement?

Thanks--
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
latamud
2nd Gear Member

You can put a 15x8 styled steel wheel in the rear. 15x7 is the widest up front on a 15" wheel. If you just replace the rears, you can keep the 2 old ones as full size spare tires with matching wheels.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

For starters, I'd run what you have for a bit and see how it goes. If you truly are spinning 'em too much then you can step up to a wider tire. I like to keep the front and rears the same size for ease of rotating them.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Good advice - since these are brand new radials I start with them and see how it goes.

Also, I don't think I can get the double redlines tires in any other size besiders he 14x5. Oh well, I'll have my car back in 4 to 6 weeks and hten I'll know.

If I have to move to a different design wheel and tire I am prone tot he touq thrust "look". I don't know if the looks very good iwth my "red" stripping". Any thoughts for my black fastback?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

If you go on E-Bay, CJ Pony Parts has the Styled Steel wheels in either 15 x 7 all around or 15 x7 fronts & 15 x 8 rears. Depending on the look you want, you can go with the same size tire all the way around or go with staggered sizes. You will be limited with what you can run on the front.
I have 2 sets of rims for my car, the Styled Steel & Torque Thrust D's.
If you go with Torque Thrust D's which look great on anything, you can go with like a 215/60/15 in front and a 235/60/15 BFG Drag Radial in the rear. Your car looks more like a road race car where as mine is more of a drag strip car. I am running 195/65/15 in front & 235/60/15 back. My car still breaks loose.
You probably have to go with bigger tires and some type of traction bars. Your car would look nice with a set of Shelby Underride traction bars. That would still keep your car period correct.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
eholzer07
2nd Gear Member

you could just lower the air preassure in your tires just thought id put that out there for kicks
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

you probably should leave the tires on it that youve got now and get all the burnouts out of your system....

Quick Reply: Tires to handle a Supercharger