Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Want to learn manual driving a little better

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Default Want to learn manual driving a little better

Hey all,
I've just recently decided I want a standard transmission in my mustang. In the time before I get one, I want to read as much as I can (because I have nothing else to do) on the subject. I know how to drive stick and have done so for a few weeks on my old car, but I have no finess. Anyone have any good adivice/links to some decent writeups? I might go rent a car for the day and practice on that. But until then, i enjoy reading. How did you guys who drive them learn? I've always been an auto guy simply because it was easier but Plainsmen told me I was crazy to not want a stick and you know, he was right! So now I drive around in my auto subaru practicing the motions (not to be cool! I'm not pretending to be a hotshot in an auto). There's something so sexy about driving manual, especially in a mustang!! I feel I've just awoken to that recently. Shame on me!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to learn manual driving a little better

Google how to drive stick and theres a website with some helpful videos.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I guess I've been doing that. Wasn't sure if there were any unspoken rules or techniques that I didn't find.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

There's really no books or any write ups that can teach better than just doing it. Once you master the feather aspect of dead starts, it's all about personalty then.

My dad tought me back in the early 70's. He did teach me to not change gears when turning corners ( ie: taking a left from an intersection. Eiter get in 2nd gear before the turn or keep the rpm's steady as you make the turn, then shift. This is suppose to keep you focused on the turn and not stumbling for gears ). however, I've been known to be sideways in those turns

You'll figure it out. One thing that drives me nuts about my wife driving a stick is she'll be so.... literal ( for the lack of a better word ). She'll reach for the next gear, push the clutch in, let the rpm's fall to damn near idle and let the clutch out and then feed it gas. Drives me insane. There's a fine dance to it and once you get the feel, you can make shifts that as smooth as silk

Anywho - it's 7 am and I've only had one cup of coffee.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

The only thing you can do is practice. No book/vid will really prepare you, and EVERYONE drives a stick different!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

agreed everyones style is different, just get your friction point down on the clutch is the most important just find the point where its inbetween being too far in and stalling out once you have a good feel for your clutch shifting isnt hard at all...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, when I first started, I thought you had to have teh clutch all the way forward but then I'd waste precious seconds pulling it out waiting for that friction point. Starting on hills is what scared me away, but once you have that friction point, you don't even need to do that parking brake juggle crap! I was reading about heel-toeing. Do you guys drive like that?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Guitylerham

Hey all,
I've just recently decided I want a standard transmission in my mustang. In the time before I get one, I want to read as much as I can (because I have nothing else to do) on the subject. I know how to drive stick and have done so for a few weeks on my old car, but I have no finess. Anyone have any good adivice/links to some decent writeups? I might go rent a car for the day and practice on that. But until then, i enjoy reading. How did you guys who drive them learn? I've always been an auto guy simply because it was easier but Plainsmen told me I was crazy to not want a stick and you know, he was right! So now I drive around in my auto subaru practicing the motions (not to be cool! I'm not pretending to be a hotshot in an auto). There's something so sexy about driving manual, especially in a mustang!! I feel I've just awoken to that recently. Shame on me!
Amen brother! When I bough my 65 fisrt thingI did was yank out the C4 and put in a 4spd. I suggest you get a tach mounted where you have a good visual of it if you havent already. Knowing have fast your engine is turning is key to good technique.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

I don't even have a mustang yet, damnit! I call this time before i get one my R&D phase where I learn all I can. I plan on getting one as soon as this summer. Hey Smothers, how much was your conversion to 4-speed? I bet it's not too hard, something I could possibly do.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

I think they sell a few playstaion or xbox games to improve your shifting options??? Hand eye and ear coordination!!! Just kidding I thought it would be nice to laugh a little!!!!!

Quick Reply: Want to learn manual driving a little better