Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

Driving it 45 min one way to my friends cabin multiple times without a temp gauge. I finally installed one and found out she was constantly running above 230* on the highway.[:@] I am very lucky i didnt screw something up.Oh and my friend and I went to look at a 70 mach 1 that was on a 10 mile stretch of gravel road and i thought it'd be cool to drive my stang to the dudes house. Oh and driving her in the rain when all four corners of my front and rear windshields leaked badly. Oh and driving in the rain when my wipers don't work and rain-x doesn't work to well on these unraked windshields.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 AM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

stupidest thing, i had the door open as i was backing(pushing) it back in the garage and my leg hit the door hard and it flung open and caught the side of the garage. Bent up the door a lil bit, but its all good now. Boy i felt like an idiot. 2nd stupidest thing with the stang, i used aircraft paint chemical stripper without gloves and while wearing sandals. Not smart.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 AM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Two come to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty others.

One the car did to me... Seatbelt broke and trapped me in while the seat was all the way back. It took a good 10 minutes to realize that it was so broken it wasn't going to let go. Luckily I'm skinny! I had to loosen it and shimmy out. Luckily, I wasn't in a hurry and I was at home.

The other I did to the car... After a day of miscellaneous tweaking (putting emblems back on, removing some rust from the floorboards, soldering in the stereo, etc.) getting the car back together after having painted her in bodyshop class, I forgot that I'd put my front valence behind the car because there was no room in front of it...and yep, you guessed it! I backed right over the darn thing while 'making room' so I could put it back on the car!!!!! Oddly enough, though, I was able to bend a nice curve back in it and put it on the car without any trouble. Good thing I didn't turn the wheel while I was on top of the thing, huh?!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ok well this is as stupid as i have been so far. well ive had my car since january and the registration expired at the end of jan and havnt registered it yet because it needs to be inspected and there are a couple of small problems. anyways i have been working on it for about 3 months and i drive it occasionally in my neighborhood but no where else so i dont geta ticket. my car is pretty loud and the front end is out of alignment so the tires will squeal when i take almost any curve over 30 mph. well im driving in my neighborhood and im going around this one pretty large curve at around 35 so i am speeding a little but its really not that excessive...10mph over. so my car's loud exhaust along with the squealing tires and red paint make me kind of stand out i guess. well i slow down to turn onto another street and when im accelerating around that corner my rear tires kind of break loose . i turn around to go back home and i see a couple of old ladys giving me the stink eye and im like hmmm...i wonder what their problem is. and i keep driving back around the curve that i took going 35 and this time im going like 15 so nice and slow and this older guy walks out in front of my car and comes up to my window and yells at me for going to fast and threatens to kick my a**. needless to say we drive back in my friend's honda and he flips us off and signals for us to stop but we decided not to cause anymore trouble and just left. i guess thats what i get for being a teenager driving a red mustang
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i havnt had a chance to do something stupid yet
yesturday in my 90 mustang i lost traction on a corner, it had just started raining and my tires are bad, and i went sideways, and this guy yelled at me at the stoplight saying i sholdnt show off, i wasnt speeding in fact i was going 10 on the corner, but i guess it doesnt help that im going downhill
Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

car wouldn't start so I figured it was the ignition. Took the distributor cap off. tyhe breaker plate was totally loose.
I got some twigs and put them in to hold the contact which actually brought me home. I felt like James Bond and McGuyver at the same time.
In this moodswing I wanted improve things further and thought: I'll just bolt down the contact breaker plate. So I got screws and put 3 in.
Worked perfectly. cap back on started. engine runs. perfect dwell. but the the engine makes a weird noise and stops.

Put the cap off again and what happened was that the screws were too long and the mechanical advance broke them. The broken off pieces got under the mechanical advance and they were grinding into the bottom of the distributor. Thankfully not all the way through.
So the engine stopped because all the scraped off metal caused misfire.

I had a sackful of metalscrapes in the distributor and thought I'll just blow them out. Did so and now my whole engine is covered with that ****.

Still when someone asks if some1 drilled on the engine I deny it. claim it must have been the previous owner ....
And still don't know how to get rid of that stuff as the last time I powerhosed the engine I nearly drowned her ...

Kalli
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Most stupid thing I have done with mine was buying it. Some day it may make a nice rod, but I can't see the light at end right now. I wonder if it will be finnished before I die sometimes. I restored a 1969 F100 short bed in five years. This is looking like ten.

How did a Mopar guy end up with two old Fords anyway?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Here's my story, although its more just plain embarrasing than stupid.

About 2 weeks after I got my mustang, the wife and I decide to drive it to the local town square to grab some ice cream. We get a great parking spot and I watch proudly as crowds of people admire it as they walk by. After about 20 minutes, a family walks in and the father comes up to me and says, "Is that your classic mustang out front?"

"Sure is," I nod solemnly. Keep in mind that I am now trying to keep from smiling as I prepare myself for a compliment that is sure to follow.

His reply was very, veryshort. "You left your lights on." And he simply turned to place his order with the rest of his family.

My wife just about fell out of her chair laughing. This was almost two years ago, and I still get ribbed about it.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

I think I might win this one. When I first got my mustang, I was inside of it looking around and the door shut on me. There were no interior door or window handles, so I was LOCKED INSIDE my car. I had to yell very loud till my step momfound me.
heheheheheh sounds like Polak joke
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Well, the stupidest thing I've ever done was drive 120 mph on a worn out front end, and atire that was so far gone I could actually put my fingers under the tread before the trip. Needless to say the tire did not have any tread left by the time i was able to stop, which took a while since the manual drum set-up faded by 90. BTW, that was around 1992, and besides a dent in the rear quarterwhere the tread was slapping there wasn't any other damage, this is also the same car I'm working on fixing up now. I doubt I'll do anything like that again, lol. Now I can afford new tires

Quick Reply: Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....